1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drives & Media used for DVD movie backup on Xbox?

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by Fordlife, Jun 11, 2003.

1. Fordlife

Fordlife Member

Ive got an Xbox and the family has DVDs. I want to backup the DVDs so I can take them to College with me.

Which DVDs does the Xbox play? I do not plan on doing the Modchip now at least. Depending on which Discs the Xbox reads determines whihc burner I should get.

I could just pop for the Dual Format TDK External at Costco and solve my problems. This way if I am at school and the DVDs that work in my Xbox dont work in a friends DVD player I could then just change the format and disc burn again, right?

http://www.costco.com/frameset.asp?trg=subcat.asp&catid=84&subid=1333&hierid=1373&log=&NavTop=

A DVD+RW drive will only burn to +r and +rw discs?

A DVD-RW Drive will only brun to -r and -rw discs?

Thanks
    RC

Last edited: Jun 11, 2003
  2. ModMaster

ModMaster Member

XBOX recognises both +R and -R. Probably better with -R though. Yes you are right about the drives although you can get drives that burn both now. The new Pioneer A06 will do this. In my experience though the -R discs are cheaper and have better compatibility both with consoles and stand alone DVD players. Of course you need the DVD remote still.

3. ShadoweX

ShadoweX Member

I have been using Verbatim DVD+Rs and Memorex DVD+RWs. I have had no problems having the Xbox recognize each medium with my backups. I have a Thompson DVD drive in my Xbox so I do not know if the other Xbox DVD drive models can read the media I mentioned as reliably as mine.

For my DVD burner, I using an HP DVD200i.