1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drives won't read...

Discussion in 'DVD-ROM drives' started by Auslander, Jul 25, 2004.

1. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

I searched on this site, but didn't find anything really helpful. hopefully, someone can help. Up until today, my dvd-rom drives were working fine. All of a sudden, they won't read. They have power, and open and close. the device manager says they are fine. however, when i put in a disc (like today, trying to install games), i went to My Computer to open the disc, and it just keeps saying "please insert disc into drive" whatever the drive happens to be. I'm going to try a system restore now, and then I'll just hope and pray. i need my drives! all posts are appreciated.

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

You can also try re-installing the burner drives. Remove them in device manager and re-boot. If the problem isn't a mechanical one in the burner it should work. Since both burners are out, I think it may be a driver problem and the reinstall should help. If you installed new software about the time your drives died it could be a conflict there. Un-install the last software and check.

Jerry

3. McQ930

McQ930 Member

I'm having a similar problem. Error message reads "X:\ Drive not accessible. Access is denied." (Where X is the drive letter)

We use Windows Family Logon. If I log in as myself, after a reboot, the drives both work fine. If someone else (all accounts with admin rights) logs in after, neither drive works for them. If someone else logs in first, then the drives are inaccessible under my logon.

I'm using XP Pro on an Athalon 2800 system. Two drives, both Sony, one DVD-ROM, one DVD+/- RW.

Tried uninstalling both drives, let XP reinstall them.

tried using a registry repair tool

Tried uninstalling any DVD writing software that had been installed recently (Nero, DVD Shrink, DVD Decrypter, etc...)

Tried using XP's System Recovery and went back to a time prior to having the problem.

Tried searching here and many other places (Google).

HELP!

4. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

McQ930, not sure if this will help your problem. Go to MY COMPUTER, then right click properties for the drives you are having problems with. Under properties there should be a tab for sharing. Click that and just read the instructions through the process. I'm thinking they are not set up for sharing so the only one that can use them is the first one on after boot. Just a quess, not sure it will work.

Jerry

5. McQ930

McQ930 Member