1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

driving me crazy

Discussion in 'Subtitle help' started by crashdmj, Apr 21, 2010.

1. crashdmj

crashdmj Member

subripping!

I ripped a dvd with anydvd to an iso (also tried just ripping the vobs).

Used dvdshrink to get the good stuff I want (anime episodes, grab the japanese audio and english subtitles and leave the rest).

Read numerous tutorials using Vobsub and come to the same conclusion. Targeted the right vob (ifo etc) and then the screen disappears (meaning its ripping the subs to .sub). I now have a .sub file. I try to add the subs (.sub) to a dvd I am authoring in DVDlab pro and nothing shows up when added. Thought it might be a problem with DVDlab and so I tried opening the vobsub-ripped subtitles with other programs that can also open .subs and I get either errors or no subs at all.

I really don't want to resort to OCR-->.srt etc but it looks like I may have to.

Any help greatly appreciated.

2. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
  3. crashdmj

crashdmj Member

Yes I did try it with the idx/sub pair but still no dice.

I wanted to avoid the OCR/.srt route because it then requires formatting and I wanted to just grab the subs as they were meant to be displayed.

4. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

I am confused...if you don't want to have srt, then what are you trying to do?

5. crashdmj

crashdmj Member

Get a .sub file that actually works as the process of using vobsub doesn't seem to work

6. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Use DVDSubedit, open the VOB and save the subtitles as .SUP, very easy. If DVDLab Pro doesn't use SUP, you can easily convert the SUP to SUB/IDX with SubtitleCreator. All should take a couple of minutes.

7. crashdmj

crashdmj Member

DVDLab still opens the subs up and they are blank. Tried to load the new subtitle that DVDSubEdit made in Subtitle Workshop 4 for sh!ts and giggles but they are unable to load them.

8. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Did you try to use them in a player like VLC or other? Not sure what you have there, this has always worked for me.

9. crashdmj

crashdmj Member

I have not simply tried VLC because I am authoring my own dvd. Arggg it's so frustrating.

I have tried so many attempts in the past too but end up just ripping out what I want and burning the vobs unmuxed directly to a dvd without nice authoring (title screen, episode listings etc) as that is the only to keep the subtitles as they are meant to be displayed.

10. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

I only suggested using VLC or other player to check and see if the subs work.

I am not sure I follow what you try to do...
    You ripped a DVD and want to re-author it- cut stuff out?,remove features, but keep the subtitles?

11. crashdmj

crashdmj Member

Correct.
    I am ripping an anime and taking individual episodes w/ japanese audio and english subtitles (cant stand dubbing). I take the stuff and reauthor my own dvds.