1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dropped Frames - What are these ?

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by rickycow, Aug 30, 2004.

1. rickycow

rickycow Member

Am I being optimistic hoping to transfer video from a digital camera to my PC with 400mhz processor running Windows98SE ?

I am using Nero 6 and a Firewire card, yet when I try to capture the video it seems to 'drop' half the frames. When I play back the video its very jumpy - now this could be merely because my PC cannot cope with this level of graphics. Question is - should I continue to burn the captured files to DVDs or would the files be useless ? Are there any settings I could apply in Nero that would allow my slooow pc to downloand the video - or shall I give up and record to VHS ?? Any help much appreciated...

Rick

2. bluebus

bluebus Regular member

By all means upgrade. Even a system 2 or 3 times faster would cost you next to nothing if you could build it yourself. I wouldn't expect any quality results with that setup.

3. rickycow

rickycow Member

ahh but that's the challenge - it'd be too easy to throw money at the problem ;)

so do the Dropped Frames suggest the hard-drive cannot cope ? Is it therefore just a case of slotting in a new hard drive anyone know ? My knowledge may not stretch to building a whole system, yet I can cope with removing old componants and slotting in new ones, letting Windows 98 do its thing

4. greninger

greninger Member

Hi there,

What happened to me was very similar - when encoding to MPEG during capture, your (and my) processor couldn't keep up. You can

1. Get new hardware (I did that)
    2. Try going direct to AVI, which will load your HD, not your processor.