1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dropping frames

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by bartj, Mar 11, 2005.

1. bartj

bartj Member

i am using win dvd rec, winfast pvr , fly tv 2000 & nero vision express to capture tv & have experienced frame dropping with at least some of these applications.

is there anything i need to check to stop this?

i am capping to a seperate HD which has been defragged & using a seperate graphics card GeForce.

2. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

There are two ways (that I know of) to reduce or eliminate dropped frames.
    1.) Use a faster, "lossless" codec (this applies only if you're capturing to avi).
    2.) Use a smaller capture resolution. If you're currently using 720x480, you can try something smaller, until you get no dropped frames.
    #1 may do the trick, but if not, you're going to have to consider #2.
    Of course none of this applies if you're using a hardware mpeg encoding capture card.

3. bartj

bartj Member

im trying to capture to mpeg2 as i wanna burn my stuff to dvd. Im also capping in PAL format so dunno if i can reduce the resolution as will this not affect whether i can rec to dvd to play on a standalone player.

4. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Capturing to full D1 PAL (720x576) mpeg-2, is almost impossible with a soft card.
    You would get much better quality by capturing to DV avi, or using Picvideo mjpeg avi codec. Then encode your captures to mpeg-2 in a standalone encoder.
    There are 3 resolutions you can try though, and they are all DVD compatible.
    Full D1 (720x576)
    Half D1 (352x576)
    Quarter D1 (352x288)