1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DRU-500A (DW-U10A)

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by mike00, Jan 21, 2003.

1. walterman

walterman Guest

Thanks for replying, but, i miss typed it. Its 2.0g :(

2. mrchan

mrchan Member

to everyone who is having problems -

this sony drive is VERY picky about media. it doesn't like cheap princo discs, you may get a batch that will work every now and then but its not worth the risk.

buy ritek media and it will work perfectly. cost a bit more, but it'll work.

3. LeeFields

LeeFields Guest

I have not read all of the posts on this thread, so forgive me if soemthing has already been coverd. Last week (after two weeks of newbie hell) I gave up on my Sony DRU-510A and took it back to the shop. It gave up on 4X speed after 6 burns on good media and reverted to 2X. And so it began. Did every forum and recomeded fix and got nowhere. Did get these realy cheap (54p) Azo white tops to burn briliantly at 2x only, but that was the greatest revelation I had. After reading these forums decided to take the piece of poo back to the shop and get a 106D via mail order for £83.99 (£46 cheaper than the Sony) And have never looked back, I had no idea how fast things should have been!!
    Sorry to put a dampener on things for you guys that have got em but, I would urge anybody that can send then or take them back under warrenty, do so. I did not get so much as a niggle from the shop and the guy told me that he knew there was a fault and gave me a full refund no problem. Remember, we consumers have rights to.

4. walterman

walterman Guest

I've bought Ritek 4x media & some Memorex 4x media. Both disks broken when started to write Track.

I've sold my DW-U10A for 80E & i've bought a stunning Pioneer A06 for 140E.

Everybody having this shitty unit, should sell it & buy another unit.

5. walterman

walterman Guest

Sell your Sony & buy a Pioneer !
    I'm really happy with my Pioneer !
    It burns everything at 4x, even the cheapest disks !
    & i haven't broken any disk & have written around 100 disks right now !

6. rids

rids Member

please please help i cant find the dw-u10a patcher any were i want to change my drive from DW-u10a to a DRU-500a if some one whould email it to me i whould be very grate full please send to rids@webtribe.net

7. midland45

midland45 Member

8. ModIt

ModIt Member

I second tho that post of the sony drives picky to what media type you use on them i have mine and whenever i get expensive media it works sweet but when i use the cheap ones then i have the problems the drive stats with a clicking noise and its cause the lens is trying to read the blank media and the unit also spoils the cheap media a lot even at 2x speeds. So i found out that the tdk"s work great on it and tried a 100 reel and all worked fine also skc blank media worked had a few problems with memorex +r media now am gonna try fuji filim media i heard it works good so am gonne try them. The only cheap media i passed through that worked fine was i think the brand is optodisc the blank media's that has some letters and numbers around the hole at the center of the media those work great and they are cheap.

9. mrchan

mrchan Member

In the BIOS, do your Sony drives show up as ATA 100?

10. barn.door

barn.door Guest

Flashed my firmware OK today,From DW--U10A 1.1d to DRU500A 2.0h,
    Seemed a painless process,
    Tested by burning a DVD with Clone DVD,
    Burned a Bulkpaq Orange DVD-R (Princo Dye) without any trouble, I had a lot of trouble with them before, (coasters)
    Then tried packet writing with Easy CD&DVD Creator 6.0, I had seemed to be having trouble with easy cd&dvd creator before flashing, hoped the flash would sort it, but now I just get a error message “Disk and Drive Not Compatible” when i try to packet write,
    Any ideas please?
    Would Nero be better?
    What software does the DRU500A come bundled with?
    any help would be great please,