1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DRU-500A (DW-U10A)

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by mike00, Jan 21, 2003.

1. KillerBob

KillerBob Member

pointy,

I used the DRU-500A to DW-U10A you posted, and it worked fine. The drive is now a DW-U10A again. I am still having problems though, and can't find any firmware upgrade for the DW-U10A drive from 1.1c.

The drive will not do any RW, not even with CD, and the 2 burn I have started on DVD-R have ended up in BSODs.

2. papaflump

papaflump Guest

Killer Bob,

Try this link...

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?download_id=1504

It will update the firmware on your U10a to 1.1e

please note though.... I have not tried it yet as everything works fine for me in 1.1d & I have been too chicken to try the 500a conversion as yet ! (me and money don't like to be parted for no reason.. if it aint broke.... stay well away from tweaking it !!)

(I do not know of anywhere where version 1.1d is available...sorry)

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2003
  3. scoobywrx

scoobywrx Guest

sent my u10 back after so much wasted time and money got myself a dru-500ax and this drive rocks not one wasted disk out of 200 verbs -datawrite-riteks you name it.and 14 mins a film perfect im happy

4. kenli38

kenli38 Member

i have a sony500a and all dvd media burned well and all played in toshiba sd1800 but none played in ps2. why? used bmi white4x dvd-r,verbatium 2x dvd-r and meritline 2x dvdr+.and now i get pixels and some freezing toward end of some movies

5. pilotpaul

pilotpaul Guest

I have sent my U10A back as it pack up after 2 months. I am now trying to buy the 500AX but cannot find anywhere that has it in stock.Any suggestions?

6. pilotpaul

pilotpaul Guest

I have sent my U10A back as it packed up after 2 months. I am now trying to buy the 500AX but cannot find anywhere that has it in stock.Any suggestions?

7. pilotpaul

pilotpaul Guest

I have sent my U10A back as it packed up after 2 months. I am now trying to buy the 500AX but cannot find anywhere that has it in stock.Any suggestions?

8. scoobywrx

scoobywrx Guest

got mine from big pockets....mostly data and some back ups of my dvds......._X_X_X_X_X_[small]if it aint broke tweak it[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2003
  9. soldsome

soldsome Guest

I'm sending my U10A back too, I gave it a fair shot,b ut after reading all of the postings i know i'll be happier with the real McCoy(DRU 500)... there is alos a DRU510 model. I read a post on this thread of someone looking far a retail comparison site... try www.cnet.com They have the one of easiest to navigate sites. Does anyone know of a good DVD program to use with DVD-X-COPY EXPRESS? I have burned a half dozen or so copies with the U10A but i keep getting lock ups during finalization. I have remove all of the programs i thought might be conflicting ie: Easy CD creator and InterActual but I still am locking up.... Any Ideas? Anyone?
    soldsome

10. al92lt1

al92lt1 Member

You don't need any other progam to use with DVD X COPY XPRESS.

11. majere007

majere007 Member

When I installed my unit it finds the unit but does not find any drivers for the unit, anyone else have this problem?_X_X_X_X_X_[small]I swear this Hardrive will go in in just five minutes and work!!!

TWO DAYS LATER...[/small]

Last edited: May 26, 2003
  12. soldsome

soldsome Guest

Thanks for the reply. heres the scenerio;
    i open copy express... it asks for a DVD movie.
    i insert a DVD movie.
    Copy express reads the DVD movie.
    it asks for a blank media.
    i insert the blank media.
    after copying the DVD movie files, copy express says,; please wait for finalization... so i wait for HOURS... and nothing happens. i can't click cancel, because cancel is greyed out. i click the X to the top right and it does nothing. i "control, alt, delete" and i am able to close Copy express, but i have to restart my computer in order to get my SONY DRU 500a (oem DW-U10A)to open.
    The copy plays perfect but i have to use a program to play it (i have InterActual, the problem above happens with InerActual installed or removed)... I love DVD copy Express, i have spent coutless $$$ on so called "easy to use" DVD copy software and nothing is easier than DVD copy express. but i hate the locking up problem.
    I'm ready to go buy a new computer and install only the new software.
    anybody out there have a solution for me?
    soldsome

13. soldsome

soldsome Guest

PS, iknow you don't need anthother program with DVD copy express, but the only way to play the DVD on my computer is to re-install inreactual into my computer ( by the way, i'm using an athlon 1500 with 512 meg ram with windows ME). The DVDS play fine on my home samsung DVD player... absolutely flawless.
    Thnaks, soldsome

14. soldsome

soldsome Guest

OK scratch the first 3 postings. I called SONY and the tell me the DW-U10A is exactly like the DRU-500A. only no support and no software. I'm going to keep it. Hypermicrosystems will not refund unless i pay shipping and a 15% restocking fee... lesson learned. I'm alos looking at the new DRU-510 from Sony, this is a nice looking unit.
    Good luck to all
    soldsome

15. KillerBob

KillerBob Member

Guys,

I gave up, and sent back my DW-U10A, and got a DRU-510A. It is so much better, and reliable. The software (Veritas) is easy and straight forward.

16. KillerBob

KillerBob Member

Also, I have found what caused my problems:

The new Intel 875P chipset, and the Intel SATA Raid0 controller, requires you to use the IAAR 3.0 drivers, and they conflict with Nero. You get BSODs when trying to burn usig Nero. However, you can use other softwre packages.

So, it wasn't the drive (DW-U10A), and I didn't need to change to the Sony DRU-510A, but the new one is much nicer, and the softwre quit nice.

17. soldsome

soldsome Guest

Thanks Bob, you know these software conflicts will drive you up the wall. I'm still having lockups at the end of my DVD X copy express burn, even after closing all programs except explorer and systray. but the DVD copys are perfect and the most simple i've tried. having to restart in order to extract my DVD copy isn't that big of a deal to me, but there has to be a reason and a remedy... the TECH support at 321studios has been easy to reach and i hope they come up with the fix, i'll be calling them back.
    soldsome

18. omronguru

omronguru Guest

Sorry guys if I have missed anything whilst I have been away, but biggest gripe seems to be inconsistent performance of DVD X-copy, I know I will probably get slagged, but hey who cares, its only a hobby! I currently use a DW-U10A, with firmware changes to DRU-500A ver 2.0f, as advised by Gully back on page 2 I think, I use Pinnacle Instant copy, and so far only 1 coaster (and that was due to a power cut mid burn) Oh! yeah, I use Datawrite DVD-R Classics burning at 2x, so I think 1 failure out of 60+ burns a fairly satisfactory result compared to what you lot seem to be gettin'.......or have I spoke to soon?
    The moral here is, If you ain't gettin' reliability out of your software! Ditch it! I'm sure it ain't hard for you to get hold of a copy of Pinnacle Instant Copy.

19. Rocket45

Rocket45 Member

20. Rocket45

Rocket45 Member