1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DRU-500A vs DRU-500AX

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by JDecal, Jan 24, 2003.

1. JDecal

JDecal Guest

Anyone know the difference between the 500A and the 500 AX?

2. ali777

ali777 Guest

yes 500a is for dvd+ and 5ooax is for dvd+ and dvd-r

3. msb5150

msb5150 Regular member

Sorry, double post, plus the one below is more spellchecked

Last edited: Jan 25, 2003
  4. msb5150

msb5150 Regular member

Incorrect, the dru-500a burns all types of dvd media except that horrible format dvd-ram. The dru-500ax is essentially the same thing, except that it is like an oem version, not supported in any way by sony.

5. jeepers94

jeepers94 Guest

No,the AX is not an oem drive! It is the same drive as the "A",but with the new firmware to burn at 4X.Also the read speed has been tweaked.The same thing can be done with new firmware.The "F" firmware already burns at 4X,and there is a firmware in developement to tweak the read speed.The AX also has a new package(box)and the software is complete.

6. oceanview

oceanview Guest

Sorry; If I recall correctly, the DRU500AX ships with the most current firmware update. Flashing the DRU500A with the latest firmware makes it the same as the DRU500AX.

One of the features of the DRU500AX was DVD+R 4x, whereas the DRU500A was DVD+R 2.4x. Flashing will now give DVD+R 4x, which is the same specs as the DRU500AX.

Hope this is not too confusing.

Later...

BTW: The DW-U10A is the OEM version of the DRU500A and per Sony, will not be supported by them.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2003
  7. jeepers94

jeepers94 Guest

Is that not what I said? Also the software is complete.As owners of the 500a know,it was shipped with an incomplete package.

8. oceanview

oceanview Guest

Sorry Jeepers94, no harm intended. I got my windows mixed up re another post.

I forgot about the software suite issue, and was not aware of the new packaging.

Thanks for the update.

Later...

9. dragon7

dragon7 Member

Does anyone in the uk know where to get this drive
    DRU500AX

Last edited: Feb 22, 2003
  10. spencermx

spencermx Guest

I've contacted Sony Belgium and even they don't know when the AX will be available on Belgian territory. They will have to hurry if not they will lose big market share as in April Nec is coming out with the Nec 1300 that will also be 4 x +/- R/RW and with much better reading and transfer rates. It will be about 40% cheaper as the sony. I've already seen the drive in Germany in pre order for 253.73 euro = 171.046 GBP Tax included. Let the games begin :)

11. psm112

psm112 Member

You can buy this drive brand new and sealed from me for £305 including delivery!

12. dragon7

dragon7 Member

£307 is to steep they are selling retail at £250

13. spencermx

spencermx Guest

And I just bought a Plextor PX-504 A for 222 GBP... delivery next week...

14. luigipret

luigipret Guest

where can I dl and keep in tune with sony dru 500a firmware upgrades and tweaks ??

15. jeepers94

jeepers94 Guest

luigipret,Sony keeps the newest firmwares on their site.There are also several firmware forums.If you can't find them with a Google search,email me.I can't remember if links to other forums are allowed here or not.Some forums do not allow it.

16. kangs

kangs Guest

Does anyone know if the DRU-500A can be external converted to firewire or USB?

I've purchased a firewire kit and it works well only in reading. When I tried to write using Roxio, Nero, or veritas, the software doesn't recognize it as a burner but instead just as a removable device.

Also, I noticed that after releasing firmware f for DRU-500A, Sony released the version g immediately.

Anyone know the major difference between the two?

The only impression I got is that the version g of the firmware turns on the 5 viewing of different region then sets it permanently vs. version f only updates the 4x burning.

also, writing email to me would be appreciated since I do not check this site often.

srk2040@yahoo.com

Many thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2003
  17. hugyou

hugyou Guest

500AX = 500A with 1.0g firmware.

First release of 500A not support DVD+R 4x.
    But now 500A support DVD+R 4x recoriding.

And 500A can use fireware or usb external box.
    500UL(500ULX) is just 500A(500AX) with external box support IEEE and USB. :)

hugyou

18. richyrich

richyrich Member

dw-u10a vs dru 500ax. Sony have messed me about with the delivery of the 500ax by saying that i definatly had one in the ware house then when i rang again i'd have to wait 2 weeks grrrr the even congratulated me on being one of 150 to get the first batch but never mind what do you think i should do wait for the dw-10 is it any better? i know one place selling it for £250 with no software or do i play safe and keep my order with sony

19. psm112

psm112 Member

I can get you one £306 including delivery

brand new and sealed. the 500AX

20. dragon7

dragon7 Member

A few posts up you tried to sell me it for £305 why the £1 increase anyway your price is a rip of....

Last edited: Feb 27, 2003