1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DRU 510a on XP Home help please

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by bobster69, Jul 15, 2003.

1. bobster69

bobster69 Member

Hi all,

As you might guess this is my first post but i hope the intellects out there will bear with me and offer some help, or point me to posts that will help, before i go on trust me i have scoured the threads but not seem specific to me...

Ok, recently bought a Sony Dru 510a, seemed the newest / fastest i could find at the time.

Im running XP Home on my Athlon 2200+, i have 512 DDR and a 120G 7200 HDD.

Media i have is Datawrite Red, 4 x speed General purpose 4.7GB DVD-R discs.

I travel a lot, and would love to back up my bought / rented DVD's, threads i have read mention DVDDecrypter, DVDShrink, DVD2One, Nero, Clone DVD, DVD X Copy, Easy CD/DVD, i have tried a few of these but with little success.

I would be so so grateful for replies from experts or people with similar setups / hardware, with hard advice on the right combos of ripper, shrinker and burners to use, i would love to keep all the menus, but dont mind compressing if required (i appreciate its not possible with some).

Also, and lastly, a friend recently leant me some DVD's that are DVD-9, again i've seen posts regarding these but am at a loss as where to start.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks for listening....MEDIC! :p

Rob

2. Tosca

Tosca Guest

Use DVDshrink (free) to rip and compress.

DVD decrypt to rip (if the dvd is single layer) or to rip and then compress with DVDshrink if you have problems ripping with DVD shrink.

If you can get your hands on DVD2ONE then get that too, just in case.

Use Record Now Max to burn. DO NOT use Nero or you will start having probs even after having fifty plus successful burns. Not sure how Nero 6 is with Sony burners though.

What do you mean by "having little success" with the apps? Did they not work?

3. bobster69

bobster69 Member

Hiya,

Thanks for the speedy reply, i succesfully managed to copy one bought DVD (Breakin'), with DVD X COPY EXPRESS but times ive tried Decrypt or shrink ive encountered problems, because i am new to this i let them go, and scoured the boards for useful guides, any pointers, or links to guides would be greatly appreciated thank you.

Rob

4. tjones.tx

tjones.tx Member

Hello noticed this post and decided to jump on I have a DRX 500UL External Burner, brought DVD XCopy in April during initial install I was told by 321Tech Support to download the free nero and select nero as alternative, did and things worked great, then the release of Xpress and the world was great for a few days, then the release of upgraded Xpress and nothing has worked right since. Like Bobster I have all the info on all kinds of Burning etc..
    A Binder full of info but can not comprehend eanough to master thru the kinks. Surfing here cause I can not back up any DVD presently and 321 Tech Support, seems to be too advanced for my interpretation and application of suggestions.
    See Edited Communication:
    Roxio removed, Lavasoft Ad wear installed all drives scanned and tracking items removed, same results obtained once I try to back-up DVD I get perferred audio language not specified for any DVD inserted then the
    prompt to highlight Not (specified Dolby AC 3-2ch 48bps DRC), program will not
    allow selection and is locked at that point, have to ctrl alt delete to get out of program,
    DVD XCopy will, simulate Burn media will not read in player, where as prior
    to upgrade download media was readable in player.

I can not burn any DVD, using DVD XCopy or Xpress any version, program
    worked fine for the most part until I downloaded the latest update. Now I
    can not even re-install the previous versions, when I do in Xpress the optional settings I selected initially, return without me being prompted to re-select. Something is really wrong now.

SONY VIAO
    Windows XP Home Version 2002 SP!
    Intel Celeron 1200 MHz
    1.2 GHz
    256 MB RAM
    ACPI Uniprocessor PC
    Intel 82801 BA Bus Master IDE Controllers
    Processor Type x86 Family 6 Model 11 Stepping 1
    Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
    Burner SONY DRX 500UL firmwear version 2
    it says SONY ILINK DRIVE IEEE 1394
    SBP2 Divice 5.1.2535.0
    DVD/CD-ROM - ( 5 Region Selected)
    Pioneer DVD-ROM DVO 117R (5 Region selected)
    version 5.1.2535.0

Media I use Verbatium DVD +R & DVD+RW or Ritek DVD+RW........

The following programs can cause problems while using DVDXCopy:

InterActual Player and PC Friendly - These packages can cause many
    problems including read errors, blocky video on completed copy, SCSI
    command errors, and DVDXCopy lockups. Please remove in the Add/Remove
    Programs utility in your Control Panel.

DirectCD or Drag to Disc(portion of EasyCDCreator), InCD, B's Clip, HP
    or Veritas DLA - Packet writing software. These programs load special
    "Filter Drivers" when windows starts that can try and talk to your
    burner during the copy process. Disabling will not resolve all issues,
    please completely uninstall via the Add/Remove Programs utility in your
    Control Panel. To remove DirectCD or Drag to Disc, please use the Change
    command for EasyCD Creator in your Add/Remove Programs utility in
    Control Panel. Continue until you are given the option to "Modify", then
    you should be presented a list of components. Please choose "Not
    Available" for the DirectCD and/or Drag to Disc components.

Spyware - some programs can install other software that can be damaging
    to your Operating System. Please scan for these programs with a Spyware
    utility. We recommend Ad-Aware, available freely at Lavasoft.de or
    Lavasoft.nu

If you perform any of these changes, please make sure to reboot your
    computer before copying.

Prior to downloading the newest version of Xpress today, I could burn backup DVD copies and only got the ask me prompt while trying to
    back-up one DVD. After the download I can not back up any DVD, the ask me prompt shows up every time, and program freezes and locks. Tried to reinstall earlier version with out any luck.

5. bobster69

bobster69 Member

Hi all,

Problems so far (updated), can now decrypt succesfully the .iso (but not sure what the .mdf is for).

When writing using decrypter (files under the specified size limit) it completes it succesfully, but will not play on my JVC VN-N55SL, also using .ifo and using guides i have found Nero succesfully copies the disc but when inserted into my standalone i get the 'no disc' message (

All my hardware and media seems ok, just not getting it together with the software, HELP.

Was wondering if its my aspi, what version do i need plz, would that help ?

And would it help if i updated the driver for my burner, says it improves reading and writing integrity.

Thx for listening to my ramblings, please help

Rob

6. Tosca

Tosca Guest

From what I hear Nero can burn fine discs but will be incompatible with certain players. See if you can find yourself a copy of Recordnow Max and use that instead.

You were warned not to use Nero. Don't say no one warned you...

:)

Make sure you are doing the ripping process correctly.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2003
  7. bobster69

bobster69 Member

Thanks, i'll go look,

It just seems a gucci version i wanted to try it.

Rob

8. Tosca

Tosca Guest

Another tip. After you ripped the dvd, play the ripped files on your 'puter first. That way you know for sure the rip process was done correctly. Then burn.