1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dru710a & DVD Shrink burning VERY SLOOOW...

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by mtlhead, Jan 19, 2005.

1. mtlhead

mtlhead Member

After using DVD Shrink for about a month and having great success with it, my Sony DRU710A has slowed to a crawl. What used to be 20 minutes (uncompressed) and 40 minutes (compressed), has gone to almost 2 hours to read and burn.

I've tried updating firmware and uninstalling the drive. Upon restart, it tells me the software for the drive is not complient with XP. So, I install anyway and I'm back to triple the ordinary time to read/write.

What would cause this to happen? Why do the computer gods hate me? Any help on this dilema would be greatly appreciated.

2. ILHS86

ILHS86 Regular member

I know what you are talking about, mine is doing the same thing, what is up..

3. mtlhead

mtlhead Member

Well, I've tried some things that I found in the forums, but the results are not good. I don't get it. Friday Night Lights took almost 3hrs. to burn. It looks and plays great, but 3 HOURS??

If I knew some the computer jargon I might know what to do. But I'm at a loss..

Help Me Please!!!

4. Veblin

Veblin Active member

5. mtlhead

mtlhead Member

I tried to enable DMA. I selected "DMA if available" but it never asked me to reboot. After a reboot, the Current Transfer Mode is STILL PIO Only and the burner is still slow.

Am I missing something, or is there another avenue I can go?

6. stucy187

stucy187 Member

yo I have the same dvd burner and I also use dvd shrink...I was wondering if you have had any audio sync problems and if so how have you gotten around to fix the problem. Thanks for any type of information

7. dvdripdvd

dvdripdvd Regular member

i'm having the same problem with shrink. to avoid any problems i rip it with decrypter and then shrink it. on my computer it takes 40+ minutes if i rip it directly from the dvd. if i save it on my hd first with decrypter and then let shrink do it stuff it takes no more than 25 minutes.

8. Veblin

Veblin Active member

@mtlhead

Did you actually read those links I give you. I didn't know what version of Windows you had.

Maybe you missed this.

Additional hint: right click to uninstall
    Additional note: you might also try uninstalling the IDE channel the device is on.

9. ILHS86

ILHS86 Regular member

I had the same problem, had to end up uninstalling my burner and reboot, now it is back to lighting fast. THANKS for the help!!

10. mtlhead

mtlhead Member

NOTE: Before anyone does what I did to get my drive out of PIO mode to DMA mode, make sure one of the Senior Members (Veblin) gives my procedure the thumbs up, because going into Registry Editor is not highly recommended. It worked for me but not without sweating things out because I'm a novice at this computer stuff.

Okay, after repeated attempts at uninstalling and installing, I got the same slow read/burn speeds and could not get out of PIO mode. So, I went to the Registry Editor. It was there that I solved the dilema. (Now, I realize that going into Registry Editor was a risky thing, but I took a chance)...By the way, this is in Windows XP

In REGEDIT I went to this key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

There are folders like 0001,0002,0004,0005, etc... Check the DriverDesc value to see which one is your primary or secondary IDE channel. (My burner is hooked up as the Slave drive)

I deleted MasterIdDataChecksum and SlaveIdDataChecksum and rebooted. The DMA capabilities were redetected upon reboot and when I opened Device Manager again and checked, they were in DMA mode.

I've got my speed back reading and writing. Everything is back to normal. But I cannot stress enough to make sure one of the Senior Members (Veblin) says this is okay to try.

To Stucy 187: I have not had any problems with audio sync problems. If the disc burns successfully, it could be the DVD player. I've found that to be a problem with cheaper models. Other than that, I got nuthin'.

Thanks to Veblin for the help and steering me in the right direction, it's good people like you that make these forums a great thing. Can't thank ya enough