1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DS Linker question

Discussion in 'Nintendo DS' started by enral, May 21, 2007.

1. enral

enral Regular member

The gameshop near me told me that DS Linker is good enough to play backup games but I didn't see any recommendations or mentioning of this card here. Is this better than m3 lite or r4 or does it have any issues? If I get this, will I still need the m3 lite or any thing? The shop keeper told me DS Linker is more than enough. And can it play gba games? Thanks!

http://www.dslinker.com/

2. magus7091

magus7091 Regular member

I can see some problems right now:

1) Fixed memory size - R4/M3 are expandable and limited only by the microSD you have in them (up to 4GB) so you can have multiple cards for more games.

2) Uses battery and SRAM - R4/M3 use microsd for direct saving, no need to worry about the battery EVER going bad, because they don't have one.

3) Direct connection to PC via "writer" - Not usually easy to replace, and if something happens, your card becomes only for whatever was on it when 'whatever' happened to the "writer"
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________________
    For more in-depth please see: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=49614

And my own personal conclusion: Don't accept substitutes, and don't go with "alternatives" buy an M3 or an R4.

3. enral

enral Regular member

Nice review written there.~ Was wondering if there is a cheat function in ds linker like action replay or something like that? Or If I want to do cheat, do I have to get another device?

Regarding 3), Can you clarify abit more? I don't quite get it.

Last edited: May 21, 2007
  4. magus7091

magus7091 Regular member

As far as a cheat function, I don't know if there is one or not, regarding point number 3, it uses a "writer" cart that goes in the slot 2. Slow transfer rates seem to be a common problem, and let's say you have it hooked up and you trip over the cord, and the writer cart gets damaged (I know assuming a lot but no one expects to have the side of their case off and have a cat pee in it either --EDIT-- YES, this has happened). When this happens, you have this wonderful little flashcard, but no way to add games to it. Whatever was on it when your "writer" died on you, is on there. forever. With an m3/r4, say something happens to your microsd card (approx.) 10 usd buys you a new one, something happens to your card reader (again, approx.) 6-15usd buys you a new one. Cheap and easy.

--EDIT #2--
    M3 has built in cheat support with the new "firmware"

Last edited: May 22, 2007