1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

.dsm file

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by ahiah9, Aug 26, 2006.

1. ahiah9

ahiah9 Regular member

So I have this video and the extension is .dsm. Not sure what exactly this is, and Google is not really much of a help. Windows Media Player won't play it. VLC won't even play it. However, Media Player Classic DOES play it. Can anyone tell me what program I can use to convert this to a more friendly format? Which format I end up with really doesn't matter just so long as it's something I can play on Windows Media Player. I really just want to convert this to vcd. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

The reason why MPC can play it is that Gabest created both. Stands for DirectShow Media format and MPC has a built in splitter. It is available as a seperate filter to which will allow playback in any dshow based player including WMP. As for VLC, dsm is open, source and specs so they could add it at any time.

I wouldn't have thought that there were many dsm files floating around.

3. ahiah9

ahiah9 Regular member

Thanks for the info. I don't think there are many dsm files out there. I download ALOT, and this is the first I've encountered. Any suggestions on how to convert this to a vcd? Checked around on google, but had no luck.

4. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Easiest is probably to just use TMPGEnc. Should be able to handle dsm input with Gabest's splitter installed.

5. ahiah9

ahiah9 Regular member

I'll give it a shot in a day or two, & let you know how it goes. Thanks for the help! I didn't figure anyone else would've heard of this kind of file either, let alone what to do with it. Afterdawn is the shit!

6. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Well any other forum that I am a member of would have done and somewhere else there might have been others that know about dsm.

Looks like dsm has been around over 1 year now.
    http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=89519

7. ahiah9

ahiah9 Regular member

Well, just to keep you informed, I've been real busy latley, & haven't had a chance to convert that file. I'll get on that in a couple of days I hope!

8. ahiah9

ahiah9 Regular member

Ok... I'm using TMPGEnc Plus 2.5, and it says it is an unsupported file type. It won't even open the file. Suggestions?

9. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Works fine here. If you have the splitter installed, then it must be an issue with the video decoder.

My test file was just an XviD/mp3 avi remuxed to dsm using MPC. Basically the same as opening the avi in TMPGEnc via dshow. Just using the dsm splitter instead of an avi splitter.

10. ahiah9

ahiah9 Regular member

Haha! I'm a dumbass! And by dumbass, I mean noob. I forgot to install the splitter! So I tried to do that today, and IF I downloded the right thing (dsm_20060304.7z), I get 2 folders inside: Release, and Release Unicode, both of which seem to have the same files in them.. I have no idea which one to install, or where to put it. I'm totally new to TMPGEnc... tried it awhile back, and couldn't figure it out. So I gave up. I started trying again a couple of weeks ago, but have yet to make a successful ANYTHING with this program. Sorry to bitch... just needed to vent. :)

Last edited: Sep 8, 2006
  11. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

If you are running an OS based on DOS (Win95, 98, Me) then you need to install the release build. Otherwise if you are running 2k, XP, server 2003, etc. you can install the unicode build. Doesn't matter so much unless you want to use unicode characters (not required for normal English).

12. ahiah9

ahiah9 Regular member

It came in justa 7z file, I think. I can open it & extract, but I don't know where to put the files.

13. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

You can put them anywhere. The System dir is pretty standard place for dshow filters though.

14. ahiah9

ahiah9 Regular member

I put them in the main directory, the same place as the programs .exe file. Still won't open it. Still says file format not supported.

15. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

As I said you can put it anywhere. It isn't important, since all you are doing is putting it there. It doesn't do anything. Like say you buy a new TV. You can put it anywhere. Won't doing anything until you turn it on.

You need to register the filter. Otherwise, when TMGEnc tries to render the file, it can't access the filter, so it doesn't render.

regsvr32.exe dsmsplitter.ax

16. Ikuto

Ikuto Member

Sorry for dragging this thread up, but it's the only source of info I have on converting .dsm files. I downloaded said DSMMuxer and Splitter and copied them into the WINDOWS directory and registered them. I'm brand new to video editing. What should I do from here? I've been using VirtualDub and TMPGEnc for about a week now.

17. ahiah9

ahiah9 Regular member

I'm not sure. I couldn't get mine registered. Something about it not being found. I gave up. The file was turning into more hassle than what it was worth to me. Hopefully you'll have better luck! :)

18. Ikuto

Ikuto Member

I'm making a rip from something of an unknown codec from the original source, and MPC is able to convert it, but only into .dsm. The file's pretty big; I'm sure if I had time and space to chop it up and work with it that way it would be okay. Ah well :/ I still would really like to know how to do this tho, so if anyone knows :3

19. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

For VDub to open a dsm file you would need to (once you have the splitter installed) use AVISynth with directshowsource(). TMPGEnc should just work since it can use dshow for input.

Can't think what would cause problems with registering. There are no unusual dependancies or anything.

20. ahiah9

ahiah9 Regular member

Couldn't stand not being able to do this, so I tried registering that splitter again. The error I got was: LoadLibrary("dsmsplitter.ax") failed - The specified module could not be found. Same thing happened with dsmmuxer.ax. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?