1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DTS 5.1 audio-cd

Discussion in 'High resolution audio' started by Delgado69, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Delgado69

Delgado69 Member

I've got a concert (completely legal) that I dl'd that someone put into DTS 5.1 Surround Sound. It was dl'd in flac format and coverted to (per the instructions) to audio 44.1kHz. After burning and playing in my cd/dvd player all I hear is static. Here's my question: DTS being 24/96, is there ANY WAY possible that I can burn a 16/44.1 audio-cd and it be decoded into a DTS24/96 format? Is it possible? Thanks in advance. Assuming it's not possible, should I just burn as a DVD-A disc (and will it work for the DTS 5.1)? Thanks again.

2. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Hello.
    What you have here looks like DTS-WAV format.
    You burn this to a CD-R with any CD-Audio creation application.
    When played back, you MUST use digital outputs into a DTS decoder - and it should then pop out as 5.1. Do NOT try to burn to DVD-A, as the file is the wrong format.
    It's possible it is from a 24/96 source file, but most likely will be from a 24/44.1 or even a 16/44.1 source. It depends on what the disc is and who authored it. If it's a home made version, you must write to CD, and output digitally to a DTS decoder. It will not work through a creative labs card, as they resample to 48KHz internally and this breaks the stream.

Some info about how this works.
    DTS comes in several flavours, from 16/44.1 all the way up to 24/96. It's not automatically 24/96 resolution (and usually isn't).
    Bog-standard = up to 24/48 for DVD
    DTS-WAV = from a 16/44.1 or a 24/44.1 source files, encoded to a transport stream that has 16/44.1 stereo WAV headers. This is what you have.
    DTS-Pro series. = up to 24/96 for DVD, and 24/88.2 for DTS-CD but will output at 44.1 depending on what it is connected to.

Hope this helps - if not, let me know?

3. theplague

theplague Member

A few question concerning the "MUST"-digital connection:

Must I use the optic fiber connection or is RCA-connection enough?
    Then would be ok NOT to use coaxial(but regular RCA-cable) until I have one?
    How should the connection look then - Left and Right to it's regular stero inputs and the Digital RCA connected where?

4. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Connection can be via coaxial, or RCA digital (SP-DIF) or TOSlink.
    If using analogue, you'll have to decode the DTS stream in the DVD player & output as 6 channel PCM.
    Connect the Digital RCA to the digital input on the amplifier.
    If it doesn't have an SP-DIF input, you will have to use CoAxial or lightpipe.
    Using stereo RCA analogue will give you white noise unless you are decoding internally, in which case all you will get will be L & R.

5. theplague

theplague Member

Ok, thanks alot...