1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DTS Audio

Discussion in 'Audio' started by metehan, Jan 31, 2005.

1. metehan

metehan Member

If I only choose DTS while I am burning a DVD, after the DVD is completed it doesn't play on my receiver. My receiver has DTS decoding. What might be the problem?

2. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

This is not to insult you, but I just want to make sure. Do you have a digtal connection(optic, coaxial) from your DVD player to your reciever? And if so, is you dvd player set to output a dts signal?

3. metehan

metehan Member

No, I don't have a digital connection (not yet), but 5.1 Dolby Digital works fine without the digital. So the DVD player needs to be set to output a DTS signal?

4. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

You are not getting a true dolby digital signal if you don't have an optic or coax connection. What you are getting is a left and right signal that is converted(pro logic 2) to output to 5.1, but it is not discrete. As for dvd audio, you won't be able to hear that at all without an optic or coax cable. Once you have the right cable, set your dvd player to output dolby digital and dts.

5. metehan

metehan Member

So if i have the digital/coaxial connection, and still don't hear the sound from a DVD burned only with DTS? What might be the problem then?

6. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Assuming the options on your DVD player and souround sound receiver are correct, the problem is your backup. What programs do you use to backup your DVDs?

7. metehan

metehan Member

I use DVD-Shrink to back-up and burn

8. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

What program do you use to burn, again? When trying again, make sure you have the DTS soundtrack checked on the main movie. When ever I backup a movie and decide to go with the DTS, I only backup the main movie itself and no other soundtrack or subtitles(unless there needed) to cut down on compression. The dts soundtrack is usually twice the memory of dolby digital, so keep that in mind when you backup. DTS is great, but not always at the expense of more compression.

9. metehan

metehan Member

well, i think i use DVD shrink to burn it too. I have 2 DVD Writers in my computer, i put the source cd in one, and the blank in the other, and click on back-up. It encodes it and then burns it.

10. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Do you have nero installed on your computer? Shrink doesn't burn, but it can use the nero burning rom without having to open any other programs. Anyway, if you have a RW disc use that to experiment with. If it doesn't work the first time, you can always erase it and try again. Double check the options on the player and receiver and hook up a digital cable. Let me know how it goes.

11. tallguy53

tallguy53 Member

All, I'm a newbie to making DVD backups and a newbie to this thread, so please bear with me. First questions - what exactly is DTS? What is DTS an acronym for?

My goal - I'm using Shrink and Decrypter, trying to create a backup of my DVD movies with a working menu so that the backup doesn't automatically start to play when inserted into my pc or DVD player. I also have Nero 6 Ultra Edition which includes Recode 2 but wanted to try Shrink & Decrypter since everybody likes them so much. First I tried using Shrink in ReAuthor mode, same problem as below, somebody suggested I try Shrink in Full Disk mode but that didn't work either. See below for explanation of the working Menu and Audio problem I'm running into.

In Full Disk Mode I hit Open Disk. Shrink does it's thing. For my part under the Audio heading I put a check in the DTS 5.1-ch English and under the SubPicture heading a check in English-Normal Captions. No audio checks anywhere else. I've set Shink to automatically use Decrypter to do the rest.

When it's all finished, which takes roughly an hour for I,Robot and I try to play the movie in my pc first, later tested in my Panasonic DMR-HS2 recorder/burner with 40G hard-drive, plays DVD-R and DVD-RAM rewritables, I always get an error message saying something like neither my pc nor my DVD player can play the Audio portion of my backup. No problem with the Video portion, plays great, but no sound and no working menu.

Any advice will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks, Mike

12. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

DTS = Digital Theater Systems

What it is == A technology for encoding and decoding six discrete channels of superb digital audio, with only the SMPTE timecode printed directly onto the film.

DTS-Digital Surround algorithm is designed to encode the 5.1 channels of 20-bit audio onto any compact disc, laserdisc or DVD...with considerably less data-compression than any other competing system. A DTS-encoded disc can then be played back on any disc player with a built-in digital output connector. The digital bitstream from this output is fed directly to any surround processor that incorporates the DTS decoding chip which then separates the digital information into 5.1 playback channels that are sonically identical to the original masters.
    For Digital Surround playback, a DTS decoder is required in order to separate the digital data from the disc player into the 5.1 individual channels encoded onto the digital tracks.

Hope this enlightens you on what is involved with DTS encoding.

13. diabolos

diabolos Guest