1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dts download

Discussion in 'High resolution audio' started by neilwolf, Feb 27, 2007.

1. neilwolf

neilwolf Member

Hi,
    i've downloaded some dts music files. I have a dvd that will play them, how do i put them onto disc, what program do i need? does it matter what type of dvd disc and will it still sound as good.

Thanks

Neil

2. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

This depends entirely on what files you have downloaded, as there are 2 types of DTS stream (putting it extremely simply, as there are actually lots when you get into the details, but that is irrelevant right now!)

1 - DTS-CD, or DTS-WAV.
    These look like a standard 16/44.1KHz stereo WAV file, and are actually a fully discrete DTS stream with faked headers to allow the music to be written to an ordinary CD-Audio disc, using whatever CD-Audio creation tools you have. They are generally accompanied by a CUE file with the track points in it.
    Alternatively, it may be in the form of a BIN/CUE file combo, and again should be written to a CD-Audio disc.
    2 - .dts or .cpt files.
    These are DVD compatible multiplexes, and need to be authored to a DVD-Video disc, where you will also need to include navigational information in a menu, as well as either an LPCM or a Dolby Digital stream as authoring a DVD with just DTS is out of spec, due to DTS being an optional format & not a mandated one, so older players will almost certainly not play such a disc.
    Best apps to author with would be any of these:
    PC system.
    Media Chance Labs DVD-Lab Pro 2
    Adobe Encore DVD
    Spruce Maestro (obsolete)
    Sonic Scenarist
    Mac OS
    Apple DVDSP
    Sonic Fusion
    Sonic DVD Creator (I think) (both these are now obsolete)

What type of files do you have?
    As usual, for DVD burn slowly, use high quality branded media.
    Depending on who created the files, and how they did it, it will sound either good or great.
    DTS can be created from a 24/48 source, or a 24/96 source if you have the right encoder, and this will all go onto a DVD-V disc.
    Payload will be as the source files, but admittedly it is a perceptual encoding system (IE lossy) and not nearly as good as MLP Lossless for DVD-Audio disc. However, it is a very good second place if the source is good.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2007
  3. Panch55

Panch55 Member

Hi, I recently downoloaded Pink FLoyd - The Wall, from Demonoid. All the songs are in dts format, theextension of all thefiles are .dts. I dont want them in MP3. I want to burn them as it is. The file size is nearly 2 gb. I used Nero recorder and a DVD blank disk and copied using the " Make a Data DVD". When I played it in my home theater system (Onkyo), I heard nothing.

Please tell me how toi burn this album, I have many albums in .dts format which i wish to burn as it is and NOT AS MP3. Please help me and guide me

Thanks
    Panch

4. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Panch.

Please read my post above.
    It will tell you all you need to know.