1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DTS Playback Problems

Discussion in 'High resolution audio' started by menz83, Jun 16, 2006.

1. menz83

menz83 Member

Hi,

Just recently downloaded my first DTS audio files from usenet. I unrarred and was left with and MDS and an MDF file. i mounted this in deamon tools and it appeared as an audio cd. However, whenever i try to play it back, all i get is hissing!

I have tried this with WMP9, VLC, power dvd 6 & 7, Winamp and Media player classic with the output set to spdif to my receiver (which supports DTS). when i play a movie file with an AC3 soundtrack, my receiver automatically switches to dolby digital but when i playback the DTS file, it stays at stereo and pumps out a lot of hising! I also tried burning to cd as the file is just over 500mb. Nero wouldnt accept the image, nor would dvd decrypter but clonecd would. However, with a cd-r inserted, i only get the option to burn a dvd. I clicked burn for the sake of it with a cd-r in the drive and it burned ok but my pc wouldnt recognise the disc, nor would my ps2 or 360.

So does anyone know what im doing wrong? Im new to the whole DTS thing and wanted to see what the deal is about. Any suggestions will be appreciated!

2. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

What you have here - almost certainly illegally - is a DTS-CD.
    This looks like an audio CD, but is not.
    To get rid of that hissing noise, it must be played back through a proper DTS decoder.
    Try burning the CD, using whatever CD-Audio burning tool you have, and playing it through your DVD player into the amp.

3. zronmm

zronmm Member

You know, I've had the same problem with copying DTS files to CD.
    I have a Yamaha 795 DD & DTS receiver with/Sony NS-550 SACD player with incorporated DD & DTS decoders...However, nothing works! all I get is pink-noise, Help!

4. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Let's try to work through this.
    When you look at the file in Explorer, what do you see?
    It is going to be one of 3 things:
    1 - looks likea stereo WAV file, with a .wav extension
    2 - has a .dts extension
    3 - has a .cpt extension.

If it is number 1, what you must do is create a CD-Audio disc, using whatever you have: Nero, WaveLab, whatever. This is a DTS-WAV file where the payload (5.1 discrete surround) is multiplexed into what looks like a standard WAV file precisely so it can be written to a CD-R. Do NOT burn as a data disc. It won;t work.
    The disc MUST be played back in one of the following methods:
    i - in a DVD player set to decode DTS internally to PCM, with the output going to an amplifier via 6 analogue outputs.
    ii - Through a DVD player hooked up digitally to a suitable multichannel DTS equipped decoder. The player must be capable of passing a DTS stream intact.
    iii - Through a standard CD player, connected digitally to an amplifier with suitable DTS decoders. Not all CD players can reliably pass the bitstream.

If it is number 2 or number 3, you have a DVD-Video compliant DTS stream. This would need to be authored to a DVD-Video disc, and bear in mind also that to satisfy spec (and guarantee playback will happen) a PCM or Dolby Digital track should be Audio Stream 1.
    It is very unlikely this is what you have though.
    My guess is a DTS-WAV file.

5. menz83

menz83 Member

Hey, thanks for the response, but as the thread is over a month old, i figured out how to playback properly. I had a DTS Wav file, burned to cd at the lowest speed and played back on my ps2. Works a charm with the optical out, however my ps2 doesnt like burned cd's. so i do get the occasional skip, especially when burned at higher speeds.

So once again, thanks for the response, but if you know of a way to playback the cd's/dts files on my pc passed through spdif then i would be gratefull to hear from you. I have tried several media players but all i get is hissing. However i can output DTS streams from dvd's without a problem!

6. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

What soundcard are you using?
    If it's a creative Lies one, then you can't do this as it will automatically resample to 48KHz.

The only possibility that might work is WinDVD Platinum.

7. koukyou

koukyou Member

It's possible to playback a DTS-wav file through your PC. I'm using CCCP - http://www.cccp-project.net/ - but theoretically you should be able to do it with ffdshow and a directsound enabled media player. Just make sure that ffdshow is configured to support wav files and decode dts sreams in wav files. This is done through the codec settings under the audio settings of ffdshow. Make sure that libdts is the decoder for DTS, and that "Check for DTS in wav" is checked. In addition, uncompressed formats should be set to "all supported" under decoders.

8. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

It's much, much easier to use WinDVD Platinum.
    This will give you the following:
    DTS-CD
    DTS
    DTS-HD
    DVD-Audio
    DVD-Video
    etc etc.

9. zronmm

zronmm Member

O.K; Thanks for all your responses. I do indeed have a creative sound card (an older Audigy 5.1) I've obtained a copy of WINDVD Plat. and used the ffdshow, open-end software. However, I'm still getting the same problem! should I use the built in audio card, or find someone who can convert these files for me?

Thanks again, Folks
    Ron

10. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Why, oh why, oh why are you using FFDShow with WinDVD 7 platinum installed?
    WinDVD has all the codecs it needs, and the odds are very high that this codec pack is getting right in the way.

11. zronmm

zronmm Member

Thanks to everyone that helped me with this problem. Uninstalled FFdshow, burned the .wav and it worked! thanks again to all, I really appreciate it!

Ron