1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

.DTS to .WAV...???

Discussion in 'High resolution audio' started by Lathe, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Lathe

Lathe Member

Hello All!

Well, similar to another fellow here in this section, I have also downloaded a DTS file and the extension is in fact .DTS. Now, I will admit that I made a BIG boo boo that I found out later. First the file is an audio album and the entire album in in one DTS file. However, and here is my boo boo... The original download DID in fact have a 'Cue' file as someone mentioned on the other thread about how this was necessary in burning the DTS file to a playable DVD. And the actual primary file itself (about 400+ megs) was ORIGINALLY a .BIN file. Well, at first when I downloaded the torrent which contained the two files (.Cue / .Bin) I had NO idea at all what to do with them so I 'cleverly' changed the .Bin extension to .DTS so that I could play the file in Winamp, and it DID! Oh, I thought I was SO clever... : )

BUT, and it's a BIG BUTT like Mariah Carrey's, NOW I do NOT have the .Cue file anymore and I'm sitting here with this very nice .DTS file which plays beautifully in Winamp. So, NOW what I would LIKE to do is somehow convert this large DTS file into (HOPEFULLY) a simple .WAV file, which then I can divide up into separate songs or burn to a CD as a simple Audio Wave file.

So... Is this possible...??? What the hell are my choices now that I'm sitting here with this lone .DTS file?

Thank you all kindly for any help or suggestions that you can give. Oh, and since this is only a VERY simple thing I want to do (well, I HOPE it will be simple) I REALLY only want to use freeware if possible.

Now, it MAY be possible for me to go and find the torrent again and snag the original .CUE file. But, the only thing is, I do NOT use cumbersome bloated commercial burning programs like NERO, etc. I ONLY use DVD Decrypter for my DVD ISO's and I use 'BURNQUICK' for all data and CD Audio burns. So... If I AM indeed able to go and find the original .Cue file, what the hell do I do with it?

But, again, it would be nice if I can simply SOMEHOW just convert the damn thing into a nice WAV file! : )

Thanks again!

2. Lathe

Lathe Member

(Addendum)

Okay, I DID go and get the original .CUE file; I also copied the DTS file into that new folder and changed the extension to .BIN. So, I've got it back to the way it originally was (I think : )

So, again, is it possible simply to convert the single DTS file into a standard audio WAV file? Or, is there a simple (and free) way to take the .Cue and .Bin files and burn them to a CD / DVD that I can play on my DVD player (which also plays CDs) through the DTS optical input in my receiver? Remember, I do NOT have any commercial burning programs like NERO.

Thank you again!

3. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

You will first need to demultiplex the .dts stream into 6 WAV files.
    The file you have is suitable only for either playing with a media player like VLC (free) or else it needs to be demuxed.
    Look on Google for "Tranzcode GUI".
    This is free and will demux the dts stream into 6 mono WAV files.
    Trouble is, getting this onto disc will require either
    A - Resampling to 44.1KHz from the 48KHz it is currently at, then re-encoding to a DTS-WAV file and burning to an Audio CD, or
    B - taking the original, as it stand, and writing to a DVD-Video disc.
    This will require learning to use DVD-Video authoring tools, getting the correct times for track points, not to mention finding out that your DVD player may not accept an illegal (out of spec) form as just DTS in a DVD-V disc is out of spec. Audio Stream #1 should be LPCM or AC3, and a lot of players will refuse to play a DTS stream as stream #1.

Motto - be careful with what you download. Read the instructions.
    Do not delete cue files.

4. Lathe

Lathe Member

Thank you most kindly for you excellent, well explained, and thorough reply! Yes, in the meantime a friend on the site where we post things and such told me that I needed to get the 'Cue' file and then he sent me to a site where I was able to get a very nice free burning program that specifically burns 'Cue' and 'Bin' files into what I THINK is a playable DTS CD.

So, I went back and found the original torrent and was thankfully able to get the 'Cue' file and I burned the CD which surprisingly was able to play on my DVD player, I'm assuming through the optical DTS out to my sound system. It played very nicely! But, I believe that is the ONLY way I'll be able to play it though. When I tried then to 'Rip' the CD like I normally would into WAV files and then tried to play them using Winamp or VLC they just sounded like static and background noise. So, I THINK that suggests that they are indeed DTS wave files that can ONLY be played through a DVD player's DTS out now that the CD is properly compiled.

Thanks so much again for the great reply; WOW! Even though I have decent experience with re-authoring DVDs and such(very SIMPLY of course) it sure does sound MAXIMALLY complicated to do what you were saying in order to demux the DTS track into 'normal' playable WAV files!

Thank you again!!!

5. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

It's really not that complicated to do.
    encoding to DTS-CD with a 48KHz file will work, but not reliably.
    Some players will play it back too fast.

6. bobchew

bobchew Member

OK SINCE IVE ALREADY DONE DTS TO WAVE CONVERSIONS..IT WENT LIK THIS:
    FIRST WHEN YOU GET A CREATIVE SOUNDCARD WITH 96/24 ON BOARD YOU GET THIS CUTE THING CALLED MULTI CHANNEL RECORDER...AND GUESS WHAT THAS WHAT IT DOES..MINE DID IT IN 96.24 BUT I THINK THAT CREATIVE GIVE YOU ANOTHER THAT LEST YOU PICK THE SAMPLE RATE WHATS SURPRSING IS THAT IT WORKS A S
    I THIUIGHT YOU WOULD NEEED AL; THE 6 CHANNLE CABLING ALL LINED IN OR SOMETHING ,,BUT 'WHAT YOU HEAR' SEEMS TO WORK FINE..PAYBACK YOUR DTS PRESS RECORD..DUMP THE MC WAV IN AUDITION OR LIKE MINDED MULTO CHAN AUDIO EDITOR AND OFF YOU GO HAVE FUN!

7. Lathe

Lathe Member

THANK YOU! :)

8. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

This works because of the WDM drivers.

9. bobchew

bobchew Member

Thank you sir for that piece of enlightening info...apologies for over use of caps (key needs oiling) and dreadful spelin (at 3 am)..would I there for by right or wrong in assuming that multichannel recording can therefore take place without the need of separate box made by creative that allows 6 lines of coax into the soundcard to facilitate this wonderous activity and since this unit/box/extension is priced at £90 or so..all this cumbersome hardware can be ignored?..ie apps like Nuendo amd Audition allow for multi channel recording but one assumes it uses other lines mc/TAD (?) AUX et all double up as L/R/C/SL/SR/LFE..but if it is the case that this can be avoided (no more 'spaghetti') then things become possible-it employs the 'WHAT YOU HEAR' option..but then if your input is not from an already created surround source -ie external perhaps we have to use the 'box'..i have an audigy 2 zs , software allows 96/24 mc recording as a mc wave file.
    but you are stuck with 96/24...so i would have to downsample to another rate a friend has an xfi which has similar mc recorder..that has other sample rates..i did ask if i could use his app..but the answer was no as it wouldnt work..puzzling..ps that TRANZCODER is a pain to download..every attempt i am sent to another site and another site.and register etc etc..but i noted..its not a good idea to go to its own site..you will be stuck there forever as its a 'temp' site which is locked into a loop and just displays ads forever and ever.im not sure what the problem is but it needs to be sorted out..its a damn fine mess