1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dual Boot System,-HELP ,oldster needs ideas??

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by zincMINE, Feb 4, 2008.

1. zincMINE

zincMINE Member

Howdy ,all you technocrats...

This oldster PC buider has sort of a dilemnae ,I am trying to build a Dual boot XP and Linux <suse 9.3> box. MY os,ses are all intact on the Drives

I have all the Hardware set up but how would I set the Master /Slave relationship betwen the drives or use GRUB set up???

I undrstand that Xp or any Msoft product has a tendency to overide the MBR of another OS.

Thankx ,zincMINE

2. RottenKid

RottenKid Member

You seen this, you can make one on windows to point to the linux disc/partion....but they say virus protection software has a problem with this..idk how....but whatever

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS

I really never used linux, and never used dual boot with my linux drive.... this site talks about it. http://www.geocities.com/epark/linux/grub-w2k-HOWTO.html

Setting on the master slave shouldn't matter, that is just a way for the bios to control them.

If you get, post back i wana know how you did it.

3. Mordaunt

Mordaunt Member

Multi-booting using boot managers can be a headache and prone to unintended consequences. Here is another option: install a TRAYLESS MOBILE RACK in your system.

I just put together a system that uses a trayless SATA mobile rack. In practice, this means using hard drives like zip disks. You just open a door in the rack, insert the hard drive into the rack mouth and close the door. As you close the door, the carriage grabs the drive and pulls it in and onto power/data connectors at the back of the carriage. The carriage, not the actual hdd, installs permanently and connects to your system's power/data cables.

If you want to run Windows, insert your windows HD before you power on. Boot Linux, insert your linux HD before you power on.

Hard drives are cheap enough that you can have multiple drives on hand.

The rack I just bought cost $30.00

Of course, if you're a Distro Junkie like I am, your Linux HD may use GRUB to multiboot several flavors of linux. You really *DO* have to run multiple linux distros if you want to be able to cover all your application bases. On the same hardware, distributions act differently: some play dvds better than others, some music better, some connect to your internet radio streams better, etc. I find myself jumping among distros depending upon what I intend to do.

No distro does it all. Ubuntu hasn't impressed me IN THE LEAST. I took 7.10 off the HD. Too strange and in its own way as totalitarian as Windows. I prefer Mandriva 2008 and Zenwalk 5.0.

m