1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dual Booting Ubuntu and Windows XP

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by deliriumx, Dec 10, 2005.

1. deliriumx

deliriumx Guest

Does anyone know the best way to dual boot these 2 operating systems assuming that I have norton ghost, a 160 gig external HD with stuff I want to keep on it(like 40 gigs I want to keep and its not partitioned) I have a 80 gig internal which I want to keep everything on that, and ubuntu install disc. I really dont want to lose any information or mess up my computer. What order do I partition and install things and where do they need to be installed? Do I need a boot loader? I am prety clueless. Thanks guys.

2. Daniel_G

Daniel_G Guest

Yes, you will need a boot loader (don't worry though, ubuntu comes with a bootloader) as for your install info, i'd advise you to go to : http://www.ubuntuforums.org/ the guys there know best, and since ubuntu is pretty new, it might be best to ask the people that know all about it.

3. deliriumx

deliriumx Guest

Thanks Daniel.

4. fez1122

fez1122 Member

hey I have installed a few distros with dualboot along side winxp and I found the safest way was to use a small hdd to install the distro onto and then after to use the main hdd (with my winxp) for all the files therefore the installation of my linux distro doesnt change any of the windows files or destroy my xp installation.

5. deliriumx

deliriumx Guest

@ fez1122- so you install the distro on the external HD and then you can boot to it through usb?

6. fez1122

fez1122 Member

no i dont beleive u can dual boot with an external because usb but what i have is two internal drives one small one 14 gigs just for the distro installation all other files go on my 250 gig with the winxp

7. celticfc1

celticfc1 Regular member

Ive just finished using ubuntu 5.10(breezy badger) , which version are you trying to install deliriumx ?

unfortuneatly you cant boot from an external hdd ,

ubuntu is the easiest linux install to do (many disagree though) in my opinion,

once booted from disk it gives you the partitioning options and your set however if you feel uncomfortable doing this , boot from the live disk and in system go to qparted and you can decide how to partition your hdd this is a lot easier (especially if you are a newbie )

mark

8. Daniel_G

Daniel_G Guest

I don't know about ubuntu working with external hdd's, but i have a debian install running off one without any problems... It probably varies between distro's, but it might be worth checking it out...

9. U7Hacker

U7Hacker Member

Ubuntu is the worst linux ever youll notice right away very buggy and doesnt give you enough control. Go with fodera core 4 or redhat 9 or even just get debian "sarge" if you like debian (wich ubuntu is based on}

10. punqewe

punqewe Active member

I agree,I'm using it right now....but if you are more than just a linux beginer and you want some control as to what goes into your desktop....try something else.

Fedora core 3 and 4 are both great distros for basic desktop use,and can be made to work good in other settings as well.

11. drakshug

drakshug Member

Just make sure that you put XP on first.That caused me headaches with Win2000 and Ubuntu. The only other prob was configuring my ADSL modem. Try to avoid their firewall as I still haven't found how to configure it to allow firefox access to the internet (my noob fault) so leave it switched off.

12. rundata

rundata Guest

Unbuntu is actually quite good.

13. U7Hacker

U7Hacker Member

Give me reasons why

14. drakshug

drakshug Member

Easy to install, very stable and once it is installed you are up and running. Also have access to all the debian repositories. I like it anyway.

15. rundata

rundata Guest

heh yeah. thanks. Not to mention the neat and sweet installer process for installing stuff

16. rundata

rundata Guest

It comes with lots of built in gui functions too

17. U7Hacker

U7Hacker Member

You all need to get with the program trust me just try fodera core 4 but instead of gnome do just KDE because I am sure thats why you newbs love it so much, so PLEASE get fodera core 4 (wich is way easier to intall than unbuntu) do a custom intall and do all KDE and NO gnome, you will love it I am sure of it, plus during custom install you can review the default packages and ad some really awsome other ones. And its all free and has security updates through up2dat
    I LIKE IT I LOVE IT I WANT SOME MORE OF IT

18. punqewe

punqewe Active member

I liked fedora,used it since core 1 was out....but lately I haven't used it due to my x800 vid card. Fedora doesn't like it too much....not too many distros like it for that matter. Anyways ubuntu seems to deal with it not too badly.

I did use fedora core 4 as my main OS up until I got my vid card though,and I loved it. For the record,I can't stand KDE....call me crazy but I like gnome way better.

Yum update rawx!!

19. drakshug

drakshug Member

Ubuntu also has security updates and updates to all the core packages. I run it with gnome cos I like gnome but you can run it with a kde desktop if you want. Some of the GUI stuff really helps and you get good support.

20. ecujak

ecujak Member

I have dual booted windows with FC1-4, Mandrake 7-10, a few Suse and Solaris10.

Only now when trying ubuntu do I loose my WinXp boot.

Although I really like Ubuntu, I really need both systems to reside on the same machine. I hope Breezy didn't badger my WinXp to death.

this is what my grub bootloader has for my winXp boot. Is this my problem or does this part look ok.
    title Windows NT/2000/XP
    root (hd0,0)
    savedefault
    makeactive
    chainloader +1

I don't have any problem with ubuntu, just can't access all my old files now.........can anyone help me get my crappy windows to boot?