1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dual channel memory

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by kiwi1, Jul 5, 2007.

1. kiwi1

kiwi1 Regular member

Hi I just replaced two mismatched 512mb memory modules with two matching 1gig strips, it's DDR2 533MHz. How do I know if I've achieved dual channel mode? Is it just a matter of putting them in?

2. pcrepair

pcrepair Regular member

does your computer support dual mode ? if it does then generally it says dual mode or the particular bios's version of dual mode on the boot up screen

3. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Hey kiwi1 whats up? Man I dont think your motherboard supports dual channel operation. If it did it would have said so on the product page. Does your motherboard have alternating color slots? Like slot1 is red, slot2 is green, slot3 is red, and slot4 is green. In that cade yes it supports dual channel operation. In that same put the matching memory in the same color slots and you will be good to go. It could be that slots are like the first teo are red, and the last two are green, in that case put the memory in the alternating slots. Remember they could be any two colors, and I don't think your meotherboard supports this but if youare sure then that how to put em in.

4. kiwi1

kiwi1 Regular member

Hey man, the 2 gig of ram has cleared up all the little stutters I was getting with 2142 with graphics set to high so thats kind of what I was after, but sadly I've found my mobo doesnt support dual mode :(

5. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Well good thing your game is working fine now. I tried it on the xbox 360 once didnt like it too much. Sucks that your mobo doesn't supports dual channel mode. Did you decide on buying that CPU? It seems as if ECS makes very low end motherboards. Go with some other kind next time.

6. kiwi1

kiwi1 Regular member

I decided not to get it, I'll wait until crysis comes out and build a new system for directX10 games. I know alot more about hardware now

7. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

You will be amazed by how much you learn when you start building your own system. Thats because if you are cheap like me(you probably arent) you will want to research everything about a part before you buy it. lol thats what I did.