1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dual channel ram

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Jonny6767, Sep 18, 2004.

1. Jonny6767

Jonny6767 Member

hey guys,
    sorry to ask such a basic question but i couldn't get a straight answer anywhere..
    I have a dual channel ram motherboard i am running 2 x 512 ddr 3200 at the moment. I want to expand that to 2 more 512 to fill all four slots. Do i have to get the exact same brand of ram i have in 1st and 2nd slots for the 3rd and 4th slots to be dual channel or will any ddr 3200 512 ram work that are the exact same as each other??
    Thanks in advamce for a non confusing straight forward answer!!!

2. baabaa

baabaa Active member

It is better to get the same type/brand due to some incompatibilities you may come across by mixing and matching types..........

Sometimes you may get lucky, so it is always better to be safe than sorry, cos PC3200 is not the cheapest Ram out there..........................

BTW:Just check your motherboard is capable of:

A. Running with 2Gb of PC3200 - I am sure you have checked.
    B. Your motherboard will accept ALL 4 slots with PC3200, I ask this as my motherboard has 3 slots, and capable of 3Gb in total RAM , BUT if I use PC3200, I can only use 2 out of the 3 slots.

Other than that I think you should be fine, if not it may be worthwhile going for 1Gb stick x2 (cost dependent of course), I know it won't be cheap......

Good luck...............

3. Jonny6767

Jonny6767 Member

Cheers,
    yeh the motherboard can handle that, i guess the ram has written on it what brand it is, cause theres so many different types even for one brand...
    thanks for ya help

4. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Your welcome................
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Beware of the Pixies - they move in over night and turn your life upside down

[​IMG] [​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2004