1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dual Core help

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by eyesidol, Dec 21, 2007.

1. eyesidol

eyesidol Member

Im thniking about buying a computer with duel core technology, but im finding one thing hard to understand. When it says its 1.66ghz does that mean that each processor is 1.66 ghz or does it mean they both equal 1.66ghz combined. Thanks in advanced!

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It means neither, it means you effectively have two CPUs both running at 1.66Ghz. This means you can run two things at once both at the speed of a 1.66Ghz CPU, or if you use a dual core program you can run it at double the speed of a 1.66Ghz CPU.

3. dragnandy

dragnandy Regular member

im also confused by this. 'if you use a dual core program you can run it at double the speed of a 1.66Ghz CPU.' does that mean its equivalent to a single core going 3.2ghz?

and whats different with dual core and core 2 duo? dont they both have 2 cpus?

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Essentially yes, but I chose that phrasiology because you rarely get a full 100% performance boost. It's certainly large, maybe up to 95% in cases, but never the whole amount.
    With regard to core 2 duo and dual core, dual core simply means the processor has two cores, and acts in the way I previously stated. A Core 2 Duo, rather confusingly is a brand name, an actual product you can buy, rather than just a type of product, in the same way that you buy a 'Hoover' rather than a vacum cleaner, the Core 2 duo is actually the Hoover brand.

5. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

That doesn't mean the Core 2 Duo sucks, does it? :):):) Sorry, I just couldn't resist. lol

Last edited: Dec 21, 2007
  6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol I walked right into that one!
    But just to clarify, no, they don't suck at all (and neither do they blow before I set myself the next trap!)

7. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

LOL! I know that they are good. And, if that is the only trap you ever run into, in your life, you will be a lucky person. :)