1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dual Core Transcoding

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by engage16, Dec 15, 2007.

1. engage16

engage16 Regular member

I've been using dvdshrink for about 2 years now without any problems... Now i just got a new laptop with an intel dualcore in it and it only utilizes about 30% of its power and takes about 35 minutes to do a movie... I was wondering if anyone knows of a program that will use both cores efficiently and speed up the encoding process...

Thank You...

2. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

nero recode 2 is probably the fastest transcoder i know of but doesn't necessarily use both cores clonedvd 2 is pretty fast also

3. engage16

engage16 Regular member

Ok will try... Thank you. If you come across anymore or any that are better gimme a shout. same if you got any problems i might be able to help on...

4. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

Core utilization efficiency goes hand in hand with FSB ( front side bus ) speed ( the travelway the info gets from the HDD and RAM to the CPU ) Faster FSB, more core utilization. Right now it appears that your cpu is outrunning your fsb.

5. engage16

engage16 Regular member

Computer-

Mainboard : HP 30D9
    Chipset : Intel GM965
    Processor : Intel Pentium T2310 @ 1466 MHz (Dual Core)
    Physical Memory : 2048 MB (2 x 1024 DDR2-SDRAM )
    Video Card : Intel Corporation Mobile 965 Express Integrated Graphics Controller
    Hard Disk : TOSHIBA (80 GB)
    DVD-Rom Drive : Optiarc DVD RW AD-7530B ATA Device
    Monitor Type : SAMSUNG - 15 inches
    Network Card : Broadcom Corp Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-PCI Card
    Network Card : Realtek Semiconductor RT8139 (A/B/C/810x/813x/C+) Fast Ethernet Adapter
    Operating System : Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium Home Edition 6.00.6000
    DirectX : Version 10.00

Processor-
    General Information :
    Real Frequency : 1463.08 MHz
    Multiplier : 11x
    Low/High Multiplier : 6x / 11x
    Multiplier Locked : Yes
    Marketing Frequency : 1466.74 MHz

Front Side Bus Information :
    Bus Speed : 133 MHz
    FSB Frequency : 532 MHz (QDR)
    LFM Frequency : No
    C0 State : Yes

Initial Frequencies :
    Frequency : 1466 MHz
    Bus Speed : 133.34 MHz (QDR)
    Multiplier : 11x

Frequency Control :
    Core #1 : 1463.01 MHz
    Core #2 : 1463.12 MHz

Control Clock Frequency :
    Enhanced SpeedStep (EIST) : Yes - Enabled
    C1E - Enhanced Halt Mode : No
    Dynamic FSB : Yes - Disabled
    Dynamic Acceleration (IDA) : No

Thermal Information :
    Thermal Design Power : 34 W
    Core Power : 33.93 W (estimated)
    Resistance : 33.75 °F/W (estimated)
    Thermal control TM1 : Yes - Disabled
    Thermal control TM2 : Yes - Disabled
    Thermal Control Circuit : No
    Digital Thermal Sensor : Yes
    Clock Modulation (ODCM) En... No

Processor Performance Information :
    CPU Shutdown Temperature : 100°C

thats some of the specs on the computer... its a very fast machine... it just seems wrong that my desktop which is inferior in almost all respects encodes a movie alot faster...

6. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

yeah i would look for a newer app that takes onboard the duo chip...

usually in preferences you can up the cpu/speed for some apps...

dvd flick is a good file to dvdr app with this feature...

7. engage16

engage16 Regular member

i downloaded dvd flick... not exactly what i was looking for but very useful... definately something that was worth my time to load... i'm looking for something like clonedvd or recode or shrink... i've tried dvdfab and that took 53 minutes! recode took 32. shrink takes around 35... and i'm running outta ideas...
    thank you to anyone who has given advice so far...

8. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

There are a few misconceptions in this thread that should be cleared up.

First the Pentium T2310 was not made for speed it was made for multitasking and saving battery charge, it's a laptop CPU. Even though it's a dual core CPU it's not a particularly fast dual core processor to begin with. It only has 1 meg of L2 which can cause bottlenecks. and that with its low clock speed of 1.463 GHz, things aren't going to move too fast.A Core Duo is not quite a Core 2 Duo which is faster.

Windows Vista will no doubt have an effect on its processing speeds a bit as well, I know that it seems to slow everything else down. I have an HP DV9230US which is faster than your laptop and it has a core 2 duo and it is slowed by Vista.

The FSB on your laptop will have only a marginal effect on encoding or transcoding speeds because they are CPU intensive not memory intensive processes, although small amounts of memory can also an effect on speed a bit.

DVD Shrink is a Dual threaded application which means that it is using both cores but usually only about 60 to 75% of the two.

Secondly Dr. Shrink who made DVD Shrink also designed Nero Recode which also uses both cores. In fact DVD Shrink 3.2 and Nero 7 Recode very likely have the exact same transcoder engine. When Dr. Shrink began working on Recode 7 he essentially beta tested it using DVD Shrink 3.2. I suspect it is the same engine in Nero 8's recode as well. There is only so much that can be done with transcoding and that ceiling was hit quite a while ago.

Now what can we do about your situation?

Go into your bios and turn off Speedstep. Speedstep was designed to slow your CPU down when it isn't being challenged to save battery charge, and then speed up again when confronted by more CPU intensive tasks. It has been demonstrated that Speedstep often throttles a CPU down even when it is faced with a CPU intensive task and this could pose a problem with transcoding.;)

9. engage16

engage16 Regular member

i just find it amazing that my desktop with an athlon 2200+ (1800mhz) and 256 ram ripped movies 10+ minutes faster... My uncle has a desktop with an athlon 3800+ (3200 mhz?) and a gig of ram would rip in about 13 minutes... even though i benchmarked both machines side by side and my laptop out preformed his... thanks for everyone's input on this subject. maybe it might help some other people's questions too.