1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dual DVD Capacity CALLING ALL PROGRAMMERS

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by unwanted, Jul 16, 2003.

1. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Well, yes and no. Sony are releasing a new Green Latern disc for a green laser based system that should hold 127GB of data. Im not familiar with any yellow based systems, some may exist.

2. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

If you are colour blind, the DVD lazer will appear green but the CD lazer will still be red. That should help, and kind of tell you how silly colours are. I don't mean any disrespect, but when you try to explain someone (not here) that you are using various nm chanels of lazers for Confocal microscopy and they ask for coulour (which are all fake and added with software) you just want to smack you supervior in the head. Yes Trypan Blue can be yellow!, it coloured by software. Sorry Had to get that out. I like only talking in the nanometer (nm) range. I did hear talk (inside) of using very low wavelenght for large storage in the UV range of 339nm, but currently it would have to be cartrige, as any particle would be ionized off the disc. ( this is the lazer range used in MALDI mass spec analyzers). But the amount of data per side would be in the tera bytes.

3. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

I thought that with the differing intensities of the laser, the colour automatically changes anyway. Is that not the case?

4. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

From a science point of view, intesity will not change the wavelength (ie the pure colour). Think of it, wavelength is the distace a wave starts to repeat its self. Intensity is just how big it is. So in y x axis, the wave length is how many times the same point is repeated in the x direction, which is independent of the intensity on the y direction. However with that said, the colour (by the eye only) may appear to change, becuse too much intensity we can`t handle and will shift the colour to protect our self. Take a red peice of paper upto a white background and stare at it for 10min. Then remove the paper and you will see green on the white background. That is to protect your vision and due to the oppisite colour theory. (Red=green,blue=yellow.

for lazers intensity is required to photobleach a dye on the disk. Cd lazers use 4x intensity to "burn" the data to the disk and 1x to read. I don't know the DVD ratio, but I assume to be different. This would depend on dye usage, distance to the disk, and capability of the lazer used.

5. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Nice one, thats quite a good bit of knowledge you have on the matter there.

6. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Ya, I really could go in to all the physics of lazers and light sources. But I try to simplify things here.
    Thanks for the compliments.