1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dual Format CD/DVD a reality

Discussion in 'High resolution audio' started by wilkes, Feb 6, 2004.

1. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

http://highfidelityreview.com/news/news.asp?newsnumber=19510882

Notice the names of the major companies invloved in this one:
    BMG, EMI, Warner Music Group, Sony Music and Universal.
    Could this be the final version of the format? time will tell I guess, but anything that will stop the insane "dual rival format" thing has to be welcomed, and the possibility of the blank discs becoming available is too good for words.
    If you can write DVD-Video (DTS, Dolby Digital;, PCM to 16/48) then you can also write DVD-Audio to the same disc or better yet, universal DVD - a combination of DVD-Audio & DVD-Video for compatibility.
    Universal discs are quite easy to do once you understand how to do it, so we will have a combination of CD-Audio, DVD-Audio in High Res, and Audio on DVD-Video for the people who do not have DVDA.

Interesting times ahead, methinks

2. tigre

tigre Moderator Staff Member

I've read about this a few days ago. IIRC one of the companies supporting the format is Sony, so I think it's unlikely that they'll ever release DVD-A + CD or DVD-A + DVD-V dual disks (it should be possible as you say, though - and it would be a logic step) unless SACD is dead. - There's just too much rivalry between sonys SACD and DVD-A.

I like the format (from the specs) much more than SACD or DVD-A since the high-resolution content can be copied digitally without hardware modifications or other PITA, giving me what I consider 'fair use', e.g. creating mp3 CDs for my car etc.

3. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Funny you should mention "fair use".
    One of out income sources is transferring from Vinyl to CD/DVD and I recently got in my email a letter from the UK patent office telling me that what we do is illegal!!
    I quote from the email:
    "Generally, creators of material, such as literary, musical, dramatic and artistic works have a number of rights in relation to their material, one of which is the right to authorise the making of copies of their work. When someone purchases a car, or a book, they do not purchase a right to use such a thing forever. If it falls apart after much use, or if it is destroyed in an accident, there is no automatic right to have another one to replace it.

It is an infringement for the purchaser of a cd to make a tape copy for use in the car, or for someone to photocopy a book, or to download a song from the internet, or to scan in a magazine photo, etc. I am afraid this is the law.

There have been court cases concerned with devices which can be used to infringe copyright. A very famous legal case concerned Amstrad, who produced a twin video recorder. They were sued for encouraging people to infringe copyright, but the court found in Amstrad's favour, saying that there were legitimate, non-infringing uses for twin video recorders, eg, where someone wishes to copy their own home movies, etc. You may have noticed that some devices are now sold with warnings not to infringe copyright.

Since that Amstrad case, few, if any cases have been taken against companies producing goods which might be used to infringe copyright. That is not to say that it will never happen again. That is for rights holders, and their representatives to decide.

Some countries, (not the UK) operate a levy system, where an additional payment is made for recording devices and media, such as blank CDs and tapes etc, which is then supposed to be paid to copyright holders. In return, citizens of those countries have more "private copying" rights than we have in the UK. But the levy is also paid by those who are not using the devices and media to make copyright infringing copies, and the approach is not one favoured by the UK."

There is much, much more.
    Basically, we have now to consult lawyers, as this is in effect a "cease & desist" letter, which goes on to tell me that I am going to be prosecuted.

And to think I was accused of paranoia when I posted this across a few forums. The general consensus about these new copyright laws seemed to be "it doesn't mean end users or me" Well, guys, I got news for you - IT DOES MEAN YOU.
    They are after me for putting vinyl to CD & DVD for the owners of the vinyl. MP3 heads are next!

4. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Well, I cant see that there could be severe implications for you. If someone is asking for a Vinyl which they paid for, to be converted to another format, for their own listening then they are still the end user. The Vinyl they bought wasnt for the copyright protection of the plastic used. It was for the copyright protection of the material held on it. If the material used to play back the audio has changed, in this case to DVD-A, it is outrageous for them to call that copyright infringement. Ask them are they going to prosecut everyone in the UK who records Corination Street off the TV for viewing later? That in fact is also copyright infringement.

This will all boil down to what happens over the backing-up of DVD Video. My guess is that if it is allowed to continue, then most likely, converting Vinyl to DVD-A will be also. I ask you, is it legal to convert your BETAMAX to VHS, since it is very hard to get a BETAMAX player?

5. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

I tried using this logic to the Patents office, who replied exactly as I posted!
    Their words are in the previous post - not mine.
    Let me give you another quote from the Lawyers:

"When someone purchases a product, such as a book, cd, video, etc, they purchase the physical item, but they do not purchase the right to make copies thereof.

In addition, I must warn you that when someone knows, or has reason to believe that they are dealing with infringing copies in the course of doing business, they are committing secondary infringement, and may be liable to an unlimited fine and up to 10 year prison sentence."

How do you like them apples!
    Personally, I am very inclined to say "so sue me" and make the biggest stink I can over it.
    Problem is, I know that I will lose the court case.

Sorry to say it, but the law seems determined to hit small companies like us, who specialize in Vinyl - CD/DVD transfers, as well as the home user, whilst nothing is ever done about the real pirates!
    Madness. And it is going to get worse here in the UK, followed very closely by the US unless somebody over there can successfully argue that it is unconstitutional. Of course, in the UK we have no rights, but a few "privileges" granted by parliament that can - and are - turned over with bad knee jerk legislation in favour of "Tony's Cronies".
    Bad times are coming.
    Please, pay attention to the proposed laws, and fight them before it is too late.