1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dual Harddrive Question

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by DivineNeo, Nov 30, 2008.

1. DivineNeo

DivineNeo Regular member

Ok, so I ordered the new parts for my computer, which should be coming soon. However, I think I'm going to purchase a new harddrive:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152100

Then I'm going to use it as well as my old harddrive
    Can the GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS3L do this? How do you exactly switch between harddrives when using the computer?

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Imagine where there's C:/, there's another letter, perhaps G:/ or H:/.
    You shouldn't need to make any changes to be able to use the new drive as well, but you will need to format it, using disk management.

3. DivineNeo

DivineNeo Regular member

Thanks for the info. My question is more like how do I keep that one harddrive secure/ private? I'm sharing my computer with someone else (who happens to have admin access as well) and I don't want that person to be putting files or installing programs on it...is that possible? Sorry if these are noob questions...

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

As far as I'm aware there's no way to hide an entire disk, if you just want to hide certain files from the other user you could install a program like AxCrypt to password the stuff you want hidden.

5. my240sx88

my240sx88 Member

why dnt you just set NTFS permissions accordingly? you can lock anyone but you out of an entire hard drive reguardless if they are admins or not.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I was aware you could do it for files, but not for entire disks if they were actually sat at the same PC. I'm pretty sure this requires XP professional though, doesn't it?