1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dual HD-DVD and Standard DVD Disks

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by willnewbe, Mar 30, 2007.

1. willnewbe

willnewbe Member

For some reason I thought one of the advantages of HD-DVD was the fact that the disks would include the dual formats of regular DVD and HD-DVD. I have a collection of over 300 regular DVD movies-am relunctant to purchase any more regular DVD's. I had real difficulty finding dual format disks-as I normally backup the DVD's that I buy and make my kids use the backup DVD rather than the original.
    I was able to backup the standard DVD "B" side with no problems. I have an Xbox 360 to play the HD-DVD's for my own use-but don't want my young kids touching them-so would prefer to continue to backup the regular DVD side for their use if I can find the dual format disks.
    I could only find about 10 dual disks-most were HD-DVD only-is this the norm?
    Is Blueray producing both formats on the same disk?
    This format war sucks-didn't make a wrong choice with Beta but did spend $800.00 on a Sony Laser player which went the way of the dodo bird-won't support Blueray for that reason.

willnewbe

2. error5

error5 Regular member

This is probably the most comprehensive list of currently available HD-DVD titles:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=692850

As you can see, less than half of them are COMBO format discs (HD-DVD on one side/DVD on the other).

According to this January '07 article though, Universal (the main studio backing HD-DVD) will aggresively push Combo discs this year with about 90 percent of its releases in Combo format:

http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/news..._Titles_in_2007,_Still_Says_No_to_Blu-ray/449