1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dual Layer Burners

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by degraw, Nov 8, 2004.

1. degraw

degraw Member

I just got a dual layer burner, and was reading thru some posts to figure out how to copy a DVD. Most posts explain how to shrink and/or modify the files so they fut onto disk, but I should not have to worry about that anymore. What program woud be the best considering i can straight copy?

Can anyone suggest a media type so I dont buy anyting too crappy?

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi degraw, welcome to aD,

Since DL discs have only been out on the market for about 4 months or so and considering that the vast majority of pple who have DL DVD burners have perhaps burned only 1 or 2 discs because of their costs, there isn't enough data to tell what would be good or bad discs to buy. Those who burned discs and have had "coasters" probably don't know honestly if it was because of their technique or the disc.

Pretty much, you're on your own.

Good luck -

AFA programs are concerned, DVD Shrink, for FREE is good. Almost all other proggys are DL compatiable also. Your question about the programs comes under the same headings as the question about discs -

Again, Good luck -

Pete

Last edited: Nov 8, 2004
  3. brobear

brobear Guest

degraw
    http://www.meritline.com/dvd-r-double-dual-layer-dvdplusr-dl.html
    There is the link for some good dual layer media. I'd advise going with the Ritek or Verbatim. Those brands have a good track record. Piodata I'm not sure of, so I won't comment on that one.

As far as programs go; the Nero suite has been upgraded fou use with DL. They have a full function 30 day trial you can download. You can download as many times as you wish. Nero also works well with the 4.7 media you may want to use until the DL prices get a bit lower. It works well with the free DVD Shrink. Shrink also works with DL.

If you are going to backup factory DVDs, you'll have to use an app like Shrink or DVD Decrypter or one of the other decryption tools to decode the encrypted disks. AnyDVD is a good driver type decrypter that runs in the background and your recording programs run seamlessly. AnyDVD is the best of its type, but there are freebies like DVD43 (which you have to add a Patin Couffin driver to).

Hope the info helps. BTW most of the other recording apps and suites have upgraded to DL or are in the process. I just mentioned Nero because it is a common favorite and one of mine. Meritline is a trustworthy company by the way. They have good products and stand behind the merchandise.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2004
  4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Well thank you brobear, I learn from you everyday - I wasn't able to find anything on DL discs anywhere, much less was I aware that they had been making DL discs long enough to establish any kind of record at all in either direction -

Could you hook me up with one of your links on the DL discs ? I would find it extremely handy for making my recommendations on this new media -

Thanks there "Good Guy"

Cheers,

Pete

5. brobear

brobear Guest

Well thanks for the praise Pete. I sent you a PM on the info. LOL Glad you find my info useful.

Have a nice day.

6. diablo

diablo Guest

are there any dual burner out there that can burn both dual layer dvd-r and dvd+r? all i can find at some stores are dual burners that burn dual layer dvd+r...
    please let me know if dual layer for both dvd-r and dvd+r for which brand and where can buy one

thanks

7. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

welcome to aD, Diablo,

No !

When you were in those stores, did you notice that there weren't any DL DVD-R discs ? If you had asked the sales clerk, you would have found that DL DVD -R discs didn't exist. Since the media doesn't exist there's no real call for a burner for those discs.

I guess the answer to your question is, you'll find the DL -R burners right next to the DL -R discs when the time comes -

Cheers,

Pete