1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dual-Layer Burning

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by Marty1781, Sep 18, 2004.

1. Marty1781

Marty1781 Member

Newbie here so please bear with me. I did a search and read the guides but didn't find what I was looking for. I want to make a backup copy of a dvd movie and I have the Sony external 700 dual-layer burner and picked up some dual-layer discs. Now what I've read people say is that all I have to do is rip and burn but I can't believe it is that easy. So this is what I am planning on doing. Use DVD Decrypter to rip. After that I don't where to go exactly or which files to burn (should I be using something else to rip like Smart Ripper)? I suppose I go into Nero Burning ROM SE, select "DVD Video" as the type of disc I want to burn and then what? DVD Decrypter only creates a .ISO file and the guide on this site says I should be looking for .bup, .ifo, and .vob files to burn with Nero to put in the Video_TS folder.. I've noticed Smart Ripper creates .vob files but not any .bup or .ifo files. Which ripper should I be using and after that, which files do I burn? Any help would be greatly appreciated as everything I read seems to be a guide for getting a DVD-9 onto a DVD-5. TIA.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2004
  2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi Marty, Welcome to AfterDawn!

Before you waste any of your expensive dual layer discs, practice with some single layer stuff.

Let's clear up just a couple things. If you run Decrypter in the File mode then you will end up with a VIDEO_TS folder with all the correct files in it. Nero will be able to burn this to your disc.

If you use Decrypter in the .iso read mode then you end up with an .iso. At this point you would use the .iso write mode to burn your dual layer disc.

So you really don't need Nero to burn with, Nero can burn an .iso or burn a VIDEO_TS folder, but why not just do it with Decrypter?

The last thing you want to be doing is trying to sort through a bunch of .vobs, .ifos and .bups. They all get burned but you are just going to burn the entire folder if you are using Nero.
    You need to have all this down before doing the dual layer discs.

Cheers,
    Frank

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]motorcycle racer
    computer newbie
    dual Xeon 3.06, 2 WD 76Gb Raptors, raid 0, Maxtor 250, 2Gb RAM, 2 monitors, GSXR1000, 88 Mazda truck
    [​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2004
  3. Marty1781

Marty1781 Member

Frank,

Thanks for the advice! After I posted, I figured out that I can get the .bup, .ifo, and .vob files by going into the file mode in DVD Decrypter just as you said. However, I was under the impression that DVD Decrypter did not support dual-layer burning? Please calrify if you know for sure. I also successfully burned my first dual-layer dvd of Master and Commander by using Decrypter in File Mode and then using Nero to import those files into the Video_TS folder for making a "DVD Video" disc in Nero. The only problem I am running into is on my home dvd player (Denon DVD 2200, a newer model) is once the dvd gets to the second layer, it cannot transition to the next chapter, it just stops and I have to hit the chapter skip button to watch the next chapter for each chapter that is on the second layer (no trouble on the 1st half of the movie which I presume is on the 1st layer). In my cd-rw/dvd-rom drive, the movie starts to skip once it hits the second latyer, only my dvd-rw drive seems to be able to play the dvd smoothly without any problems. Do you think ripping in ISO mode with Decrypter and then burning in ISO mode with Decrypter might solve this problem? Again, does Decrypter even support dual-layer burning (I was under the impression you needed special software - like the Nero I have - to burn to dual-layer discs)? I also took a quick look at DVD Shrink and noticed it had an option to remove the "layer break". If I processed the dvd through DVD Shrink with no compression, do you think this "remove layer break" option might solve my pausing/skipping dvd dual-layer playback problems once I burn the dvd? Thanks for any advice you can give to the newbie!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2004
  4. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi Marty,
    This is from the Decrypter website http://www.dvddecrypter.com/index.php?act=changelog
    Added: Proper support for DL media
    That is for version 3.5.0.0 the new version is 3.5.1.0.

Removing the layer break with Shrink is for when you are burning a DVD-9 with a layer break onto a DVD-5 blank. There is no need for a layer break because you are only burning one layer. You are given this option to remove the "pause" that a layer break causes.

From snooping around a few different forums, I'm finding out that it is pretty tough to establish a proper layer break when burning a dual layer disc. The best way that I could see to do it is to make an .iso image with Decrypter and then burn the .iso with Nero, rather than Decrypter. The deal is you cannot remove or modify the original data. If you added or removed anything, then the layer break is going to get moved relative to where the actual break should occur. Even then, if the disc capacity is different between the original and the blank you still may run into problems. Whew.

Compatibility is a big issue with dual layer media. There have been a few reports and discussions about this. Because this is still a new process, there are going to be cases where it does not work at all, or, as in your case, works poorly. At this point I would try a different burn method. Just use Decrypter.Select ISO Read and then burn using ISO write.

You may want to give Nero tech support a call and see what they have to say about it. It sounds like you did everything right. No error messages or anything.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]motorcycle racer
    computer newbie
    dual Xeon 3.06, 2 WD 76Gb Raptors, raid 0, Maxtor 250, 2Gb RAM, 2 monitors, GSXR1000, 88 Mazda truck
    [​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2004
  5. Marty1781

Marty1781 Member

Frank,

I successfully burned a dual-layer dvd that plays back fine in my home dvd player (no pausing at chapter transitions on the 2nd layer like before). It skips a bit on my cd-rw/dvd-rom drive but that's not too much of a concern for me (smooth home theater playback is what I'm after). I used DVD Decrypter to rip in ISO mode and then burned in ISO mode also with DVD Decrypter and it seems to have worked well. Thanks for all your help, really appreciate it! Now I just need to find a place to buy dual-layer dvds at a not so expensive price!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2004
  6. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Outstanding! So how did the layer break come out? I have not seen any software solutions that lets you "flag" where you want the layer break to occur. I don't know if this is a problem or not.

I'm still waiting for the price to come down as well.
    Cheers,
    Frank

7. Marty1781

Marty1781 Member

Hey Frank, I guess the layer break came out ok, not really sure. All I did was rip in ISO mode and then burn in ISO mode with Decrypter, that's all, didn't do anything special with the layer breaks. I have noticed one interesting thing however. During the burning process, for all but 2 of the 10 dvds I have burned, right when it reaches 50% completion, I get an error message stating that it cannot write whatever sector and asking me if I want to retry. I hit "retry" and it picks right back up where it left off and all seems ok. The other two dvds, when I was burning them, when they reached 50% completion, the buffer dropped down to 75% for like a second but then refilled up to 100% and burning continued normally. All of the burned dvds playback nice and smooth in my home dvd player so not really too worried about it.

8. top5ecret

top5ecret Member

hi, im a new at this. i just made a copy of back to the future 1 on dual layer with clonedvd 3.0 beta. the thing is, i cant watch it on my pioneer dvd player which is a new model. however, i can watch it on my dvd dl burner. have i done something wrong? or is because the media is a dvd+r dl, i dont understand the dvd-r and dvd+r formats. can some-one please help. thanks