1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dual Layer Playback Problems

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by SJN1976, May 21, 2007.

1. SJN1976

SJN1976 Member

Hi everyone,

I've been backing up my dvd's to single layer DVD-R discs without issue for quite a long time using DVD Shrink and Nero, however as I've got a Dual Layer drive I thought I would give it a bash using a Dual Layer Disc, everything appeared to go okay but when it comes to playing it back on standalone dvd players I get two different results.

On my Toshiba SD-220E the animated menu loads and when it finishes I get no text displayed to choose the option I want. The same thing happens on my Cyberhome DVR-1600 DVD Recorder.

On my Panasonic DVD-LS90 Portable DVD Player I get no playback at all.

My PS3 won't touch it either.

On my PC using Nero Showtime the exact same thing happens, but using Windows Media Player or Cyberlink PowerDVD it works fine, no problems at all.

I've tried various dual layer media, all DVD+R DL discs from Traxdata to RiDisc Extreme and Datawrite Titanium.

For this particular disc I used DVDFab Decrypter to rip the disc to my HDD and I then used Nero 6 to burn - I'd read somewhere else to make sure that DVD-ROM was selected in book type, but I didn't seem to have any joy with this, the drive kept making strange noises and after a few minutes after it informed me that 1% of the write process was complete it failed, thankfully it didn't seem to write anything at all to the disc as I put the Book Type back to Automatic and it then wrote to the disc Okay using DVD-ROM Booktype which is crazy as it wouldn't let me choose it, but it chose it itself automatically - go figure?

Anyway, any ideas on what I can do to aid my DVD players to play this back properly would be most welcome.

Thanking you all in advance,

Steve

2. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

One suggestion to make your process a little easier with this type of backup would be to rip with DVDFab HD to HDD first and then use Imgburn in build mode to burn to DL disc...A one two punch if you will:

Burning DVD Video files directly to double layer media with ImgBurn
    http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=1780

Creating a double layer ISO on your hard drive using ImgBurn
    http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=1777

As for you selection of discs...I think this is the real problem. I don't know if anything has changed on the DL front, but Verbatim seems to be the only ones making reliable media so far...seems that other company's haven't got on the wagon yet in terms of quality and compatibility. You were right on booktyping the discs. Also make sure that your drive's firmware is current.

Last edited: May 21, 2007
  3. SJN1976

SJN1976 Member

Hi LOCOENG,

Thank you for the reply, I will give the software you've suggested a try and let you know how I get on, however is there an issue with Nero 6 burning to dual layer discs as every disc I've done has had this problem, I've even tried different burners and updated Firmwares as well, but no joy.

Thanks,

Steve

4. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

Notice I didn't recommend Nero for DL burning....I use if for my SL burns, but don't have the cahones to try and use it with my expensive DL media. I've had nothing but success with the applications I gave you links to. Nero is a big bloated peice of work and it doesn't take much to throw it off track and mess up a burn.