1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dual Layer Problem

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Hermit3, Sep 8, 2007.

1. Hermit3

Hermit3 Member

I have backed up movies in the past onto dual layer discs, but recently DVDdecrypter says there is no media present. It works fine if I put a non-dual layer disc in. Is my drive going bad?

2. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

It doesn't seem to be recognizing the disk. Have you changed the type or brand of DL media you used to use? Is the burner firmware up to date? Have you tried Uninstalling DVD Decrypter and then reinstalling?

3. Hermit3

Hermit3 Member

I have used the DL media in the past with success. It seems to have abruptly stopped recognizing the DL discs from the same spindle. How do I check to see if the burner firmware is up to date?

4. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@hermit3

Open decrypter and highlight drive you want checked in source window then tools>drive>check firmware updates>OK it will take you to a web page that will list your drive and firmware and newer ones if available.

5. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

The DVD Decrypter check that garmoon cited is a good one but doesn't work for all drives. The firmware version is the 4 character number/letter/character string after the name of the burner. In DVD D Write mode it'll be at the very top of the righthand window. Firmware can be found at the manufacturer's support site, the computer vendor's support site if the burner came with the system, and at various databases including the following:

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_all.php#S