1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dual layerd dvd disks

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by indy999, May 18, 2004.

1. indy999

indy999 Guest

Does anyone know why the 'general public' can't purchase DVD-writable drives that will allow reproduction of movies that are formatted on dual-layered disks. In otherwords, can I purchase a dvd drive that will format a disk on dual-layers on one side. Gee, thats how most 'new' movies are distributed on DVD these days. If the code is stripped, the movie would not have to be compressed (no pixal problem when using hi-def TV).....no DVD shrink necessary.....just remove macrovision by using Decryptor.....just wondering...?

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Dual-layer burners are starting to hit the market now although the media has yet to appear.

3. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

The only dual layer disks that I've read about that can handle that size is a dual layered RAM disk. Holds up to 9.4GB. As far as burners, I've only seen two (IBM & LG burners).

4. Braxas

Braxas Member

Can't wait until I build a new computer in a couple of months. Most likely will have 2 DVD-Burners in it. One being a NEC-2500a since they are just too darned good to pass up on and the other a dual-layer burner of some variety, potentially a Sony if they are released in time. I'm just waiting at this point, impatiently at that. ;)

5. Atom_224

Atom_224 Member

dual layer is out. The nec2500a is able to be flashed in order to write dual layer. It remains to be seen if the quality is there. I am surprised it has taken this long. I wonder if the movie industry was trying to stall its release. Anyway most movies fit quite well with little or no compression. Dual layer will be great for some of the long classics like the good, the bad & the ugly. Hope the media is affordable. By the way the nec2500a is an awesome drive so far!

Atom

6. LordK

LordK Member

I'm sure Verbatim have been doing the dual layer discs

7. colw

colw Active member

Fail to understand the enthusiam for dual layer - at $13 plus per disk it is cheaper to buy the discounted originals.

Information below from PC World - 21 MAY 2004

Verbatim Spins Out Dual-Layer DVD+R Discs

Discs pack almost twice the capacity of predecessors, work with most current drives
    The first dual-layer DVD+R recording media are set to go on sale in Japan at the end of this month and in the U.S. in June, says disc maker Mitsubishi Kagaku Media. The discs offer 8.5GB of recording space compared to the 4.7GB of space available on a standard DVD+R disc.
    They will cost around $13.30 per disc in Japan, said a spokeswoman for the company.
    How It Works
    As the name suggests, the extra recording capacity is made possible through the addition of a second recording layer inside the disc. To make it possible for a single laser to access both recording layers, one behind the other, the top layer has been made semi-transparent. That allows enough reflectivity for data storage and playback while also allowing light to pass through to the second layer.
    Similar technology is already in use in commercial DVD-Video discs and so is supported by almost all DVD drives currently on the market. The dual-layer discs should be compatible with any drive that supports these discs, according to Mitsubishi Kagaku.
    Going for Drives
    Recording drives supporting the new media are already on sale.
    Sony launched both the internal DRU-700A and external DRX-700UL drives in Japan, the United States, and Europe in May. The drives support dual-layer DVD+R recording at 2.4X and also writing of single-layer DVD+/-R at 8X, DVD+/-RW at 4X, CD-R at 40X, and CD-RW at 24X. Philips also showed a drive at the Cebit electronics fair in Hanover, Germany, in March. The DVDR1640K drive supports up to 16X recording on single-layer DVD+R discs and 4X recording on DVD+RW discs.
    An alternative to dual-layer technology is double-sided discs. These offer double the storage space at 9.4GB but require the user to take out and flip over the disc to gain access to the second side. Such discs are already on the market.
    Source: PC World
    Martyn Williams, IDG News Service
    Friday, May 21, 2004

8. colw

colw Active member

Guess with the experience of many newbies on these forums we will end up with a collection of $13 coasters in lieu of the 70 cent variety - the premium we pay for post modernism and technological advance.

Happy experimentation.

9. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

The Sony DRU-700A is avalible now, Verbatim double layer media will be avalible in early June.
    I installed my Sony about a week ago. It burns single layer discs very well. It comes with a beige and a black front cover, Nero burning software and a good installation and use booklet.

Here is where I bought my Sony:

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INT...VDBurn_DVDBurners&ProductSKU=DRU700A&Dept=cpu

Here's the Verbatim DL media that should ship to the retailers in a week or two::

http://www.verbatim.com/products/pr...pc_parent=ED74FEDB-AEEC-4288-9F083A7DB8E09712

Cheers,
    Frank