1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dual Monitors

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by ash9c, Feb 3, 2004.

1. ash9c

ash9c Member

Ok I currently have a ATI Radeon 9800XT so i dont want to change that, but i would like to have a second monitor hooked up to say watch tv on or have available for somthing like AIM while i play a game on the main screen. I guess any second card would need to be PCI. I have seen this done at my uncles work where he has 2 monitors set up, that he can drag windows beetween like photoshop projects and flash projects. How would i accomplish this. Thanks.

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Doesnt the 98XT come with dual support? :)

3. ash9c

ash9c Member

It has VGA, S-Video, nd DVI. Both my monitors are VGA and I think if i use DVI it will be the same screen twice.

4. ash9c

ash9c Member

Actually after visiting the ATI site (duh shoulda checked that first) it looks like it might work. I found an DVI to VGA adapter, I'll let yuo know how it turns out.

5. ash9c

ash9c Member

Sucess, thanks for pointing out the obvious to me Praetor. Alittle off topic check my site in my signature tell me what you think its pretty new but me and my buddy are gonna do a lot of cool stuff.(I just changed my signature from homestar to my site)

6. seamonkey

seamonkey Regular member

yea dude!
    once you go dual or multiple monitors, you never go back! also is nice, you acn use one monitor to be remote desktop'd into another so almost like a kvm switch without the switch and changing over!!

peace
    seamonkey420
    ps check out my setup on my about me page on my website..

7. Praetor

ash9c : didnt the 98XT come with a LCD convertor? If not, shame on ATI hehe

seamonkey : it is nice but sometimes a real pain in the ass when you want your start bar and stuff to be on the main monitor but to have a movie play simultaneously FULLSCREEN on the SECONDARY monitor. If youve got any ideas id love to hear them hehe

8. ash9c

ash9c Member

Yeah it did come with the converter. I was just too excited (sounds dumb when i say it like that) when i got the new card that i didnt pay attention to what else was in the package. So I have 2 CRT's hooked up and im finally happy with my rig.

9. ash9c

ash9c Member

Just incase your wondering P4 3.2HT 800meg bus, Intel D875PBZ booard, 2048MB DDR Kingston 3200(4x512), ATI 9800XT 256MB, 2 WesternDigital 7200RPM 8MB Hard Drivces [1x120GB] [1x80GB], Sony DVD +-R/RW, Sony CDRW. Plus some other essential goodies one needs to make life great. Oh and of course dual monitors, 21" Sony Trinitron x2.

10. Praetor

what model number on the sony's (not that im a fan or sony... in fact i hate them)

11. thor999

thor999 Regular member

and where do you live, exactly? NICE rig man!

12. ash9c

ash9c Member

The dvd is a DRU-500AX(with the firm ware upgrade) the cd is just a CRX175A1. Sony owns my soul, but i like my XBox better than the PS2. I live in New England. I actually won the CPU at last years E3. Some guy walks up yo me and says "Can I ask you a question?"
    So I say "sure", thinking he's going to ask where somthing is.
    and he goes on to say "Whats the best processor"
    I've had bad luck with AMD so I say "Intel"
    He resonds "Intel what?"
    I respond "Intel Pentium.?!"
    Then he reaches in the bag he's carrying and says "Close enough, congratulations." and hands me the cpu and walks away.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]http://www.fortherecord.ws/[/small]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2004