1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dual or Quad?

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by Askal, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Askal

Askal Member

Alright, so I'm right about to order the PCU, and I'm confused. I'm not a gamer, and the only things I do on my computer is internet, alot of multi-tasking and other general stuff. But I'm confused between a Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 Wolfdale 3.33GHz, and a Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz. Both will be over-clocked to 4.1GHz and 3GHz consecutively. I know that Quad CPUs aren't in use that much yet, because a lot of things aren't compatible with it, and that's the first minus I have about the quad. I know that Dual can run anything, since I've tested them out myself. When I do like to try out a game, I'd like it to run with no problems, and I'd like to be able to modify it how I want to.

Now, judging by what I said, what do you think will be a better one in the long shot? I've heard people say Quad, becuase of the crazy multi-tasking, but also Dual, because of the awesome compatibility. AND, on an overall basis, what would be more powerful and be able to run more things at the same time?

I've always wondered, why do people say that some games don't work with Quad? What games don't work with Quad?

2. Shamb1es

Shamb1es Regular member

I have the Q6600 and I love it. It runs like butter and I've yet to even start to OC it. Not a lot of games utilize quad cores to a great extent. If you run crysis you'll notice the higher usage but not much else. As the industry progresses you'll see more and more software/games taking advantage of the quads.

However in your case if the majority of your computer usage is just multi-tasking you'll probably notice more of a benefit from the higher clocks that you can get with the C2D's.

I believe the Q6600 is basically the same technology as the E8400 so with the E8600 you'd be sitting pretty. Really neither is a bad choice.

3. Askal

Askal Member

But ain't I going to kill my CPU really quickly if I OC it that much and I NEVER close my computer. =/ I don't need for any games, just something that will let me multi-task like a madman.

4. floss313

floss313 Regular member

All games work with Quad however, since 98% of them only use two cores it would make it pointless to buy a Quad processor for gaming.

You would be better off with the E8600 because it is a 45nm processor meaning it will save power of course, and keep your system temperatures low while you are multi tasking like mad in that monstruous 3.33 Ghz processor.

5. Askal

Askal Member

On a multi-tasking level, excluding gaming quality, on witch CPU could I do more multi-tasking? I need to have alot of things at the same time, but nothing like PS or video-editting software, and which one would be better in the long run.

ALSO, which sounds more performing?

6. floss313

floss313 Regular member

If it's between the E8600 and the Q6600 then, hands down the E8600 would be much better. On the other hand I have a Q9450 and I wouldn't change it for any Dual Core in existence, but that's my own opinion, of course.

7. Askal

Askal Member

So, I should go with the Dual then? I'm really confused about this, because I have all the other parts ready to be bought, but I'm wasting so much time because of the damn CPU. I need powerful, easily over-clockable, and alright quality. Both have their pros and cons, and I'm about to go insane.

8. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Amen Brother!!!

9. floss313

floss313 Regular member

45nm CPU's like the E8600 are not as easily overclockable as 65nm CPU's like the Q6600. But at 3.33 Ghz per core(E8600) Why would you need that much overclocking? The Q6600 is a beast of an overclocker but that type of technology has been overtaken. Financially and Technology wise the E8600 would be a much better investment.

As far as your quote is concerned:

"I need powerful, easily over-clockable, and alright quality."

This sounds like a Q6600 type of comment.

10. Askal

Askal Member

I heard people say that OC'ing your PCU shortens the lifespan. I was wondering how much time will I be killing by OC'ing it to a 2.8~2.9GHz stable? I have the Antec Nine Hundred case and a 650Watts PSU, 4GB of RAM, just as the main components, also a GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS3L, if that helps.

11. floss313

floss313 Regular member

At 2.8 2.9 it won't die out any time soon. Don't worry.

12. Askal

Askal Member

Why I'm afraid that it will die quickly, is because I very...very rarely close my computer. It's open when i'm at school, or at work, or even when I'm sleeping. Would it survive say, 1-2 years, never being closed?

13. floss313

floss313 Regular member

Much, much longer than that.

14. Askal

Askal Member

Ok goodies, can you just suggest a good fan and heatsink? Something to help it keep cool if I ever want to over-clock it more than 2.8GHz.

15. floss313

floss313 Regular member

Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme

16. Askal

Askal Member

I can't find it on NewEgg, how much is it about?

17. floss313

floss313 Regular member

18. Askal

Askal Member

Is there anything else I should be getting for a better cooling?

19. floss313

floss313 Regular member

A good man in this very same forum recommended me the Scythe S-FLEX 120mm Fan (1600 RPM, SFF21F) to go with the above mentioned heat sink.

You might want to get the two optional fans for your 900 also.

20. Askal

Askal Member

Hopefully that 80$ investment will help my computer stay super cool and quiet, and thanks alot for helping me. I'm not alot more sure about my CPU and how to cool is properly.

BTW, how much OC'ing will I be able to do on the Q6600? Will I ever be able to reach 3.2GHz without completely killing my computer?