1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dumb upconvert DVD question!

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by pecajr, Feb 14, 2007.

1. pecajr

pecajr Member

Do i have to use HDMI to get near HD quality on an upconvert DVD player? what if i just use s video or component? will it still be near hd quality?

2. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Welcome to AfterDawn pecajr! Most upconverting DVD players require that you use HDMI or DVI for the upconverted picture. I'm told that some of the brand new ones can upconvert with component but I've yet to see one. If the operators manual doesn't tell you for sure then post the make and model of your upconverting player and I'm sure one of us can dig up something.

3. mgrace47

mgrace47 Member

For sure on using an HDMI cable for up-converting. I have a Panasonic projector and my dpi went from 420 to 1080 with an HDMI cable. Best investment on picture quality I ever made.

4. kg2

kg2 Member

i would go with HDMI if at all possible. while component allows for superior signal compared to composite, it will probably never approach HDMI for 1080 signal. component can carry 720 signal, but given the choice (since cable prices are nearly the same) i would always go with HDMI when available.