1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

!!!dumbest question ever!!! (please help)

Discussion in 'Audio' started by thecraigc, Jun 3, 2005.

1. thecraigc

thecraigc Regular member

hi i feel so stupid for asking, but i can't remember how to copy a cd to my PC to put onto my mp3 player.

!!thecraigc!!

2. djscoop

djscoop Active member

3. jrx10

jrx10 Member

is there some way to get EAC/lame to also work with .wav files already downloaded onto my hard-drive from CD (without burning them back to cd). I can get dbpoweramp/lame or audacity/lame or even besweet/lame to work with converting .wav files to mp3 but I can't figure out how to get EAC/lame to work with already converted .wav files (from cd). thx.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2005
  4. djscoop

djscoop Active member

so you want to use EAC/lame to convert existing wavs on your computer to mp3, correct? simple, in EAC click on "tools", then select "compress wavs"

5. BigPantz

BigPantz Regular member

ive got ExpressRip V 1.33 by NCH swift sound (unlicensed basic free version).. cant remember how i came across this but it seems good. you can convert your cd-audio stuff to many different formats (mp3, wav, m4a, ogg etc).. you can use variable or constant bitrates to encode with it.. not heard of anyone else using this at aD, but i like it cos its FREE.. :)

6. djscoop

djscoop Active member

EAC is also free, and while the ripper you use may be good and work for you, EAC is hands down THE best. Its the only ripper with extensive ripping options as well as true error correction to ensure a 100% accurate rip. When using EAC and the LAME mp3 plugin (using VBR method), you get the best quality possible (as far as mp3s go).

7. jrx10

jrx10 Member

when I try that, eac says "immediately" compression complete, and says it uses the external compressor.but no mp3 is produced. also in the eac folder is a copy lame.exe. is this in the right place? when I uncheck use external compressor eac does nothing when I try to compress a wav to mp3. down at the bottom of the eac I've got mp3 by myden adapter 0 loaded. any suggestions? thx.

8. BigPantz

BigPantz Regular member

ok scoop thanks for the info.. i dont do much music ripping, but EAC sounds like a good prog. i like to go with what the Seniors & Addicts use at aD in terms of software... im pretty much confident that its 'tried & tested' if you guys like it. thanks :)

9. djscoop

djscoop Active member

@ BigPantz:

just a suggestion, but worth checking out. Glad to help :)

@jrx10:

have you followed the guide we have here on how to properly install and setup EAC/LAME? Even if you have, double-check the steps of this guide to make sure you have everything correct.

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/mydeneaclame.cfm

about the "lame.exe" file, you can have that in any folder you want, but you must make sure EAC sees it and knows where it is. Make sure EAC sees it in the external compression options. If EAC isn't seeing the LAME plugin that is probably why you can't compress your WAVs.

10. jrx10

jrx10 Member

eac wav conversion to mp3 by lame seems to start when I clear (x-out) of eac. the lame black ms dos window pops up after eac is closed and won't start until eac is completely closed. however it is deleting wavs from my wav file. under compression options even if I UNcheck "delete wav after compression" this automatically comes back checked when I restart eac-???. I guess you have to go back in each time if you don't want eac to burn the wavs and make sure this is unchecked each time--? pain (any way to make sure this automatically stays unchecked? thx for the help. the compress wav function seems to be working but I have to close eac for it to finish taking care of business and make the mp3 file.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2005
  11. djscoop

djscoop Active member

the settings should remain after closing, thats pretty strange. what version are you using? Its possible if you have a new version that there are a few bugs in it, as they are probably still in beta testing. I use an older version from about 2 years ago just because it works really great. If you still can't get EAC to convert the wavs, you can always use dBPowerAMP.

12. jrx10

jrx10 Member

just converted a couple of wavs to mp3 and eac sounds very good. for the time being I just decompressed those deleted wavs back from mp3 and the decompressed wavs sound pretty good also. (these particular wavs were recorded from songs recorded about 10 years ago from cable dmx to vhs hifi and then converted to wav with audacity. I'm not too impressed with the audacity conversion of analog to digital. there seems to be slight digital drop-outs in songs especially when audacity normalizes (or amps) the volume. these analog recordings had some nasty low level head switching noise. the eac seemed to clear up some of the analog sound problems that ended up on the wavs-???. how does eac do with the "record wav" function?

13. djscoop

djscoop Active member

well, about audacity, I've never used it, but all I can say is you get what you pay for. And since it and others like Krystal are free, you can't really expect that much. I myself use Pro Tools, so I don't really fuss around with consumer recorders like sound forge and all that stuff, I use the pro stuff. I've never used the record in feature of EAC, but considering how good of a product it is I would expect it to work fine. The various programs actually recording the line in to wav isn't going to differ much in quality, all that is hard ware based (ie your soundcard). for a basic record in function though EAC should work fine.

14. weazel200

weazel200 Regular member

Jet Audio can also convert WAV to MP3 and do several other useful tasks.

@ djscoop
    What version of EAC and Lame do you use. I use V0.9 beta 4 from 22 May 2002 and Lame 3.90.3. Is this what you use. I am using these settings as Ubernet and Chris Myden both recommend them on their websites.

15. djscoop

djscoop Active member

I use EAC v0.95 prebeta 3 from May 2003, and the same version of LAME you do. I've had no problems at all with my version of EAC, but I don't know about the newer versions. but I think the lame DLL is the most important, and from what I understand the one we're using is the best and most reliable

16. weazel200

weazel200 Regular member

Cheers for clearing that up. So, the Lame version is the most important but which EAC someones uses is entirely up to them unless they want all of the TOC features which the newer versions are missing.

ALSO
    are you supposed to use a certain cd-rom drive for ripping audio cd's e.g. Plextor. I heard there very good or can any cd-rom drive be used. Thanks a bunch.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2005
  17. djscoop

djscoop Active member

I have had much success using pioneer drives, but I would think that any good name brand burner like Pioneer, Plextor, TDK, Sony...should work fine. As long as you match the profile number with the correct drive using secure mode you should get good rips.

18. weazel200

weazel200 Regular member

My drive is an ATAPI MS-8148C1 which was built in by the manufacturer. I plan to get a better drive soon but for the mean time it does it's job. My rips sound great.

BTW should I change my versions of EAC to the one you use or should I stick to the one I currently use.

19. djscoop

djscoop Active member

I think those older versions have really proved how good and solid EAC is, so if it works fine then use it. I don't think the new ones really have that many new features. Mine can burn CDs, record WAVs, and other stuff, but I use other apps for that... just ripping/encoding for EAC. So as long as it works, stay with that. You could always download new versions to test it out, just be sure to keep a copy of your old version in case the new one has bugs or doesn't work as good.