1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dumpster diving !

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Digerati8, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Digerati8

Digerati8 Member

I am looking for some good quality DVD cases. I recently bought some from Fry's Electronics. They have a decent selection and various pricing. The cheap no name cases were very flimsy and not worth buying. The better quality cases were Fuji, Maxell, and Memorex. They ranged from about $.80-$1.00. This seems to be a bit pricy so I was heading online to purchase them this next time. The problem is distinguishing the quality cases fom the flimsy cheap ones. Most of the ones I have seen online do not have a manufacturers name associated. Does anyone know what cases to get and where? THANKS

2. wtfm

wtfm Member

3. chazbmwUS

chazbmwUS Guest

www.supermediastore.com

4. JVC

JVC Active member

I don't buy cases anymore. You don't need to either, unless you're too proud.
    I go to Blockbusters on Wednesdays, and check in their dumpster. When they get movies in, they put them in their lockable cases, and throw away the brand new ones, the movie comes in. They don't have them EVERY week. Two different times I've been, and got over 100 each time. Some times I've been, and got none.The two times I got some, there were regular single cases, double disc cases, white cases, game cases, etc.............
    Can be a GREAT haul, for free! :eek:)

5. rihgt682

rihgt682 Regular member

Jvc. Do you relly do that and they don't care. Too bad there isn't any dumpster in my local bb. Anyway I don't buy cases either. I use to but you relly don't need to. waste of money. I mean i have couple hunreads of dvds and that = to $. Now i just put them in the cases where i buy them from.

6. Ustop

Ustop Regular member

Jvc, I like your style. I get my cases at shop4tech. Yeah, they r on the flimsy side, but a whooole lot cheaper than 80 cents 2 a dollar. Depending on how many you buy u can get them as low as 13 cents a piece. I like to keep my sh$%$%t organized. Never had a problem with them and free shipping.

7. Digerati8

Digerati8 Member

Nice info guys....
    JVC I don't care how much money someone might have, free is free. Why spend capital when you don't have too. I'll be heading over to my local BB tomorrow =] Great idea!

8. JVC

JVC Active member

rihgt682............
    Yes, I really do that! I love free stuff!
    Like I said................ you'll get some once in awhile, not every time you go.
    Keep us posted on how well you do?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2005
  9. gear79

gear79 Guest

or just hit up places that GIVE AWAY those stupid AOL cd's for internet service. i hit up circuit city, i grabbed like 10 of em, my wife grabbed a handful more, plus my father in law took the rest, i ended up with over 25 FREE cd/dvd cases. they are clear, not flimsy, and identical to the ones that the verbatim digital movie dvd's come in (10 pack).. just a quick FYI

10. Digerati8

Digerati8 Member

LOLOL...you guys cleared out Circuit City....nice work Bond.

11. rihgt682

rihgt682 Regular member

my post office have thoes aol cases too. and movie theater.
    I should bring a bag and take all of them when no one's looking.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2005
  12. gear79

gear79 Guest

lmao
    you'd be surprised on how much money AOL spends just to get people to try their service, those cd/dvd cases are everywhere, wal mart, best buy, you name it..... just look around..... no dumpster diving for me..

13. Supercroc

Supercroc Member

I DO NOT recommend these: http://www.meritline.com/dvdcasblac25.html.

I just got 100...the hubs are so tight it's very hard to get the disks on and off. I am afraid the DVDs will eventually crack.

I think I'll try some dumpster diving at BB :)

14. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

JVC- you evil genuis you - well just kidding about the evil part! I went to my Local BB and got some vids and I remebered your post about the free cases in the dumpster! It not being a wed I thought I would'nt find any DVD cases But hey as you say my friend free is free ! and lo and behold there were cases there so I scrounged the few I could reach without diving and left the ones I could'nt reach ! Not that I'm to proud to dive But I had nice clothes on and you never know if broken glass or pointy stuff is in there two and I have'nt had my tetnus shot lately ! also I'm not a fan of rabies , hanta virus or BUBONIC PLAGUE ! all of which rodents ( RATS . MICE ...ect,) can carry - Guess That makes me a WUSS ! huh! Anyway I think I'll check the dumpster now more often & carry my grabber /reacher gadjet in the truck from now on & some bags to put the cases in if I find some. Some of the cases I scrounged today where a little grungy looking(read dirty) but I have water & soap at the house what's a little elbow grease when they're free right. Perhaps I will engineer me a longer grabbing tool of some kind if I find an idea that works I'll pass it on ! For what it's worth I also noticed that BB throws magazines in the Dumpster too the ones I saw looked almost new condittion ! don't remeber titles but just thought i'd pass that along too! JVC- Thanks again for the tip and all that ! PEACE & HAPPY BURNING!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2005
  15. pholmes31

pholmes31 Member

good job on the blockbuster cases.i just use the slim cd jewel cases myself,they seem to be pretty cheap.plus i get free mags. since i work for a mag. distr. company,so no diving there.i must get asked the question,what do you do with the old magazines 10 times a week.i think they get shredded and recycled.kinda sad though.

16. Khameleo

Khameleo Member

IF BB is just throwing them out. You might want to try and ask a manager if you can just have them. I used to get movie posters from them for free. Might save you the trouble of getting attacked by rats. Worth a shot

Khameleon

17. JVC

JVC Active member

BIGTOXY69............
    Good for you! I'm proud of you. When I've gotten mine, they have been in big, clear plastic bags, tied shut.
    I originally asked the guy inside, and he told me they weren't allowed to save them for people, but he couldn't stop me from getting them from the dumpster. Maybe that's why they were in bags? :eek:)
    Good luck on getting more. Keep us posted?

18. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

Khameleo- I thought about that but did'nt want to give anyone else the same Idea . And I think if I did ask I would probably get the answer that JVC mentioned that they BB are not allowed to save them for people . I normally use the Verbatim Slim dvd cases they are cheap About .25 cents @ sams in bulk and they work well !But hey free is free . So I deffinitely will be checking BB again ! If I am really lucky the cases will be in a bag tied up like the ones that JVC recycled ! Jvc you lucky dog you! I've even come up with a Idea for a reacher & Grabber thingie ! I have a large suction cup about 3.5 inches around that went to a cargo cover/net for my pick up truck I plan to attache this to a 6.5 or 7 ft long piece of PVC pipe which should allow me to pick up cases I can't reach from the outside . Basically like a small plunger on a long stick ! I know the Ideal tool for big dumpsters wouold be one of those extendable floodlight changing poles with the suction cup attachement which is kind of what gave me the idea. The BB that I use has a small dumpster so 7ft. should give me plenty of reach. And feel free to use or modify this concept to your needs and wishes as I am not the inventor of the stick, suction cup or plunger. whenever I actually build it I'll post a progress report on how well it worked or not! well JVC & Khameleo my buds thanx for listening & the tips & help -PEACE & HappY HUNTING & BURNING!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2005
  19. RCCola

RCCola Member

Hmmmmm - our Blockbuster is in a building attacted to a Bakery - just think what I might find out in there dumpster - I love rassberryberry filled bismarks ... yummy *evilgrin*

20. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

RCCola-But where's the cream filling! lol~!