1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dumpster diving !

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Digerati8, Jul 6, 2005.

1. cainbox

cainbox Guest

shopfortech.com is a great site to look for dvd cases I would recom.

"sorry Im late I got caught up with some Punanny" chapples show

2. cainbox

cainbox Guest

correction!!! shop4tech.com

3. DVD7227

DVD7227 Regular member

Man dont buy cases im cheap and what i do is wait for Aol to send me there software with them nice DVD cases and i throw away the software and use the case save yourself money :D

4. bodine123

bodine123 Member

5. teflonmyk

teflonmyk Regular member

[​IMG]

I just use paper sleeves and cd sleeve files. 100 DVD's in less area than a shoebox would occupy!!!

[​IMG]

These small cd totes work well with dvd's in sleeves also and are under $2.00 at Wal-Mart (Housewares/Rubbermaid section). They hold around 75 DVD's in sleeves. The bottom has guides to accomodate file tabs should you want to use those. BTW, Wal-Mart also has the sleeves with window for $4.97/BX of 100.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2005
  6. MJS41

MJS41 Member

I use Meritline and pay 25 cents each...

7. rihgt682

rihgt682 Regular member

Why even bother with the cases. Takes to much space. I put mine in cakes.

8. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

jVC wAZZUP!!!!!!!!!!! jUST a little update went to Blockbuster to check out some dvd's Got underworld & life force but that's not the best part ! hit the dupster and retrieved 34 dvd cases including one double DVD case - 6 white cases ,5 florescent BOOGER Greeen ones & the rest black ! in the big clear trash bags like you said ! I did have to sort them from the trash (mostly paper ) and I rinse & dry the dirty ones with running water & paper towels! but all in all a very good day oh! yeah the Grabber thing like old timers use works perfectly for snaring the bags without diving ! Now I'm gonna have to check some of the other Blockbusters dumpsters too ! Thanx again bud & Happy Burning ! Peace

9. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

rihgt682- my friend you can do what you want with your dvds as you already do ! but storing them in Cases offers more protection easier access and allows you to organize them on bookcases or racks! I mean think about it that's why they make cases ! alternatively there are the binders but I like cases ! just my opinion ! you have yours and I respect that - if you keep them in cakeboxes you have to take the umpteen ones you don't want now out to get to the one dvd you want ! but if it works for you great - just some food for thought ! Peace & happy burning!

10. leezy

leezy Guest

how do you guys label your dvd cases

11. gear79

gear79 Guest

12. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

leezy- getting ready for work so I'll be brief - try a program called undercover xp ! you can find a link to it by poking around afterdawn.com then you just select which type you want to print & select your cover image and print ! works very good with slim dvd cases ! hope this helps you out ! peace & happy burning !

13. leezy

leezy Guest

do u print on regular paper?

14. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

leezy- I use Magtec ULTRA BTIGHT WHITE paper it has a brightness of 112+ the brighter your paper the whiter it is and the colors & text stand out more ! I bought it at a local KMart that was closing and am down to my last ream(500 sheets) and the nearest Kmart that still open is 100 miles away ! Yes Any good premium inkjet paper should work but get the brightest you can ! the higher the number the better. I suppose one could use Photo Quality inkjet paper if one would want to spend more money ! or real Photo paper if you wanted to but inkjet paper works fine for me ! hope that answered uour question! Good lauck Peace & happy burning!

15. gear79

gear79 Guest

i personally use regular paper, after all, they are my back ups and only i see them, i dont waste extra money for specific paper........... i even get my dvd cases from blockbuster's scraps they throw away, i used to get the AOL cases you can get for free at places like circuit city and best buy.....

16. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

gear79- Well my friend we use what works for us ! don't we and Besides I got the paper on sale . Also I was answering leezy's specific question? about do i print on regular paper. Thanks to the dumpster Tip anout Blockbuster from JVC I get a dvd case or two free from them too! I picked up 34 from the dempster dumpster there friday ! I'm not as lucky as JVC as he's found a hundred like that already but I'll take whatever I can get if they're free ! Thanks for weighing in on this issue gear79! peace & happy burning!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2005
  17. gear79

gear79 Guest

yeah, a while back, someone posted a tip from getting them cases from the dumpster @ b/b and so far, i have gathered over 100 free cases, you cah strike gold on a tuesday, as when the new movies come out, they throw away all the original cases... i got lucky one day and found a bag full of them.... even had some double ones too, colored ones... nice ones.
    as far as my choice of paper, guess i am just to cheap to run out and buy some... but it reaks havoc on my color cartridge... now i have to buy a new one, and at them prices..... i may not even make labels no more, good ole sharpie to the rescue.......

18. JVC

JVC Active member

Glad to hear you guys are doing well at BlockBuster's dumpster! :eek:)
    Nice haul, gear79! I've had a couple of hauls like that. Enough to last awhile.

I get my photo paper at Big Lots. They have 20 pks. of glossy paper for $3.99. No one else around here sells it that cheap!

Try here for ink: http://private.abacus24-7.com/(lkwe5ha33rm0je55pfp5ftul)/home.aspx?
    They have the six pack of ink for my Epson R200, for $21.80 including shipping. That is OUTSTANDING! They may have good prices on ink for other printers too. Don't hurt to look.

19. leezy

leezy Guest

i went out to my local bb today they sell their cases 5 for a dollar no lie i bought all of them out they had 27 of the so i bought them off and these are the real cases that come with movies i dont know if they are allowed to do this but they are lmao

20. gear79

gear79 Guest

@JVC.... well, i never thought i would do the ole dumpster dive, but there have been times when these cases have been stashed in a card board box behind the dumpster (like someone had the same idea from inside) so i just snatched em up.

@leezy.... you been ripped off, see a few of the above posts and this link...http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/207868

i was at walgreens ealier, supporting my habbit of smoking, browsed by the media section, they have photo paper, multipurpose type, 30 sheets for 3 bucks, and 50 sheets for 4.50.. just a tip leezy (if u have walgreens there)