1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dumpster diving !

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Digerati8, Jul 6, 2005.

1. GlueEater

GlueEater Regular member

I'm so glad to see that this thread's been ressurected. I thought it had died out.

2. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

GlueEater- me to brother! me too!

3. nailedny

nailedny Guest

[bold]99COBRA, I BEG TO DIFFER WITH YOU. [/bold] I just printed 2 covers using that Staples photo paper and it is MUCH better than the bright white. I need to run back and get more.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2006
  4. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

nailedny- been there done that - did the bright white thing for a while but photo paper makes much much better covers - better quality ! better & more vivid colors & they'll probably last longer too I'm a guessing! Currently I'm using Hammermill Brand Photo paper . It says Jet' Print photo/ multi- project photo paper . Gloss finish . Bought it at SAMSCLUB awhile back Got a bargain was regularly $18.00 a pack =150 sheets got them for $8.00 ea. & bought all they had left about 7 packs just started my second pack . Works well prints excellent photo's & dvd covers Normally I used to use royal brand paper(PHOTO) that was usually what I could get the best deal on at samsclub .But the Hammermill stuff was cheaper and works as well or better than the Royal . Sometimes BIGlots stores have PHOTO PAPER in small lots/ packs various brands chaep you might check there or samsclub . Use what you like & what works for you though ! Happy Diving & printing !

5. chiefmac

chiefmac Member

Why not just buy a book that holds like 200 DVDs? Have all your stuff in one safe place. Instead of going to all the trouble of getting cases, making covers, just so you can have shelves and shelves of movies with cases everywhere. And then going through dumpsters...wow. BUY A CD BOOK.

6. JVC

JVC Active member

We don't [bold]want[/bold] to buy a cd book!

7. nailedny

nailedny Guest

WE DON'T WANT TO BUY A CD BOOK!!!!!

8. Halen5150

Halen5150 Regular member

I have a cd book that can hold about 96 DVDs, but I still make the DVD Cases as a a display for in my room. I know, sounds like a waste, but eventually I will move out and put them in their original cases anyways.

9. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

chiefmac- Chiefly we don't buy binders or books becuase Dvd cases provide more secure protection ! think about it why don't the movie studios release dvd's in a book or just a cardboard sleeve ? protection - Besides diving for dvd cases is fun " like a box of Chocolates -you never know what your gonna get " And printing the labels is fun & makes the cases look pretty LOL! It's something you do cause you enjoy the craft of it If books & binders work for you chiefmac my friend then so be this is what we like ! Have fun & happy burning!

10. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

I bought loads more CD books!!

sorry i couldn't resist, i love using 240capacity cd books, just no room for so many dvd cases, however i see why you lot love dumpster diving etc hence why i'm still tuned in to this great thread

11. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

creaky- You Use what you like ! and what works for you old friend ! The point is you get it ! chiefmac did'nt ! And I can see it in your case . Good Luck & happy burning! Ciao!

12. chiefmac

chiefmac Member

My DVD book protects damn near as well as a case, and its much easier to access, much easier to travel with. The reason movies aren't sold in a book is pretty obvious, it's only 1 DVD. I would probably put my DVDs in cases and print out the covers too, but I have over 250 DVDs backed up, and that would be quite a chore. But if that's what you guys want to do fine, I was just defending the DVD book. Happy burning to you too.

13. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

chiefmac- That's the point my friend ! If the books work for you fine & dandy Myself and many of the other members prefer the Dvd cases they are right for our needs as your Books & Binders are for you. Obviously you have made up your mind on that point and that's fine as well . Defend away , just don't offend ! If I were someone like yourself with 250 DVDs backed up quite A SUBSTANTIAL investment in time , money and materials I would protect them with the best accessories available ! So they would'nt get damaged ! And if I were not going to use the books which you are and did'nt like individual DVD cases which you don't Here's wht I would check into 510 CDs/DVDs Capacity Hard Plastic/Aluminum MEGA Case with Self Clean 255 Sleeves, Silver, EHJ510, FREE GROUNDS SHIPPING!

Item Code: 180-062-001-fs

$20 OFF with Coupon: AC18020OFF
    $59.99 QTY: Tough & light weight CD/DVD case with handle and lock. Comes with 255 hanging CD holders which take 2 disks each. Index inserts for quick identification, each folder is also individually numbered. Ideal for DJ's or for DVD presentations. Can be used to transport any type of CD and DVD media safely and securely.

The 510 CD and DVD Carry Case is 3 compartments wide with a strong metallic finish featuring strong plastic indexed sleeves.

Hard plastic cover with aluminum edge
    Inside contains 255 CD sleeves ( Plastic )
    Hold up to 510 CDs and DVDs
    Dimension: 12" x 17" x 7.5"
    Free Ground Shipping

at - meritline .com they also have they books should you desire them as well - Should you need more of those ! Hope you keep on the happy side and whatever you store your dvd's take care of them & yourself - peace!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2006
  14. 99COBRA

99COBRA Member

Well, I tried but it didnt work. Now there probably wont be any staples phot paper anywhere now that it has been broadcast. Ive been using it for awhile now and at 1.94 you cant beat it. Oh well thanks. Guess I better go look for whats left and buy it all. using my ink cartrigdes for 3 more dollars off.

15. chiefmac

chiefmac Member

Wow, thats exactly what I need. My 250 case is full. I didn't know they made anything bigger than 250. That's awesome. Maybe I'll use some DVD cases for my most precious DVDs, as they are better at protecting.

16. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

glad to help !

17. Smacks

Smacks Member

This morning I had pretty good luck. Here's the countdown-77 new, 11 green, 4 clear, 31 BB lockables, 46 Playstation, and 4 doubles for a total of 173 cases. I also found 2 vhs movies. There was a clear bag sitting in the dumpster just full of cases. So full, when i went to lift it the bottom gave out and alot of the cases fell right back into the dumpster. No problem-in I went to recover my treasure. It was fun. The BB's in my area still use the lockable cases so I'll dive till theres none left. Hope everyone else is having as much fun as I am. Good Luck and Happy Diving.

18. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

Smacks- Great going ! That's the thing with them clear bags . They're not designed to handle all that wieght Plastic dvd cases get heavy if you got a good many in there & Blockbuster tends to Overload the bags with paper & assorted trash /magazines ect. so just as" you said " when you go top lift up the bag the bottom falls out ! Kinda like life aint it? LOL! Anyway Smacks You done good son! I have'nt been getting any cases lately Either bad weather -just trash or dumpster freshly dumped so ! I guess I'll just have to keep looking & hope for the best right ? Bought a collapsable mini rake to rake cases out the dumpster had'nt tried it yet will upadate if it works worth a darn ! Good luck happy Hunting ! safe diving & Free is FREE ! CIAO!

19. nailedny

nailedny Guest

Hey Big.............Is that rake like a boat hook???? haha.
    Way to go Smacks. I tried 2 dumpsters yesterday. One was nothing but yucky trash the other I got 12 boxes of mirowave popcorn and 16 cases. It was freezing out and I didn't want to jump in and look around. Maybe this week will warm up and I'll take a dive.
    Free is Free................

20. Smacks

Smacks Member

It's been another great day in the world of Dumpster Diving. Hit up BB this morning and came away with a very good haul. Here's the countdown 176 new, 13 green, 5 double, 12 BB lockables, 26 playstation, 3 clear, 30 vhs, and 1 very unique red case. Add that up and I got 260 cases. Now if I could just train the employees to close the lid on the dumpster to keep the rain out it would keep those cases alot drier. Don't even get me started on the pop (I'm sure all of you know what i'm talking about). But after all it is trash so I'm not complaining. I even have to compliment them this time because they double bagged that huge bag of cases. I never thought when I started this I would have to start finding new places to put all these cases. I guess that's a good thing though. Well, good luck to the rest of you and Happy Diving