1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dumpster diving !

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Digerati8, Jul 6, 2005.

1. leezy

leezy Guest

i didnt get ripped off im not going dumpster diving thats for sure i have been ripped off by other places buying those flimsy cases so i figured might as well only 5 for dollar so i grabbed them lo

2. gear79

gear79 Guest

@leezy
    you dont have to dive in the dumpster, i happened to find mine behind the dumpster, its worth a look. other free choices are the clear thin cases that AOL uses, via mail, sometimes they are tin or plastic, but circuit city and best buy has them, wal mart, all free

3. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

gear79- leezy & everyone else - you don't actually have to dive in ! You can use one of those Grabber Gadgets that are sold under various names Such as Gopher ! you can find them at drugstores occasionally big lots and other places . And unless your Blockbuster has really Huge dumpsters and or you are Vertically challenged (SHORT) that should help you fish out the cases ! The last batch I rescued from their landfill manifest destiny were in a big clear plastic Garbage bag mixes in with paper trash from the store ! I managed to snap up 34 cases that day 6 white - 5 booger green & 23 black cases incloding one double case! just reached in the dumper with my grabber and clamped on to the bags and lifted them up & out and to the truck we went! PersonallY I prefer the Verbatim Trim DVD cases (slimline) they work and are inexpensive & allow you to fit more on your shelf or video rack But hey free is free ! Besides it's kind of like a big easter egg hunt ! if you finf some you win just don't eat the candy ( LOL ) !! well friends Good day ,Good luck & happy Diving! Peace & happy Burning!

4. leezy

leezy Guest

well do you guys go in the mourning or at night? another thing is when ever i rent movies i sometimes switch the cases i did the a number of times they never called and complain they as in the rental company

5. gules3000

gules3000 Member

on ebay get some
    i got 100 cases for 1 penny but the shipping was 19.99 lol they work well

6. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

leezy- no set time JVC recommends wed! Cause the new dvd's come out on Teus. But both times I've gotten them once was a friday and once was saturday! And as for switching the cases I would'nt do it because Blockbuster at least the one I rent from uses those locking cases why do you think they througgh the originals out! it's a anti theft type thing ! just a thought! The orginals cases don't have that extra hole in the case to let in dust (where the locking piece goes on Blockbuster 's renatls( You may want to check your local Blockbuster dumpster out every couple days . As Jvc the Yoda of the dumpster checkers has said " you might not find them every time but it's worth the look" Luke use the force) !!! Peace & hapy burning!

7. leezy

leezy Guest

wat do you guys jus cut them when the covers are done i cut one it was jacked up lmao

8. gear79

gear79 Guest

@leezy
    not totally sure what you are asking on that last post.
    i do mine 1 of 2 ways.... make a color copy of the original dvd cover and just follow the edges to cut, makes a perfect fit.
    and the other, i just download and cut the same way, again, perfect fit.
    as far as times at blockbuster, its just when ever we happen to go for a rental, i just take a peek in the rear of the store, it is totally empty back there, no one can see, sometimes i get lucky, others i dont, but you cant complain for free stuff....

9. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

gear79- Exactamundo ! I print them using Easy CD & DVD Creator 6 label creator Works best for Full size cases - Or Undecover XP for Slim line DVD cases & Full size ones too! then Just cut them with scissors by hand May not get a peferfect edge every time but close enough for goverment work!lol! . Yep just make a little peek a boo by the dumpster when you go. I just wish that Blockbuster would standardize the type of dumpster they use! two of them near me have the regukar flip top kind and the third one has some weird locking bar latch on it that you have to be a space monkey or white lab rat to open! but like everyone asy's free is free ! So good luck -Good Day & happy Hunting ! Peace & happy burning

10. leezy

leezy Guest

i called bb today to see if they gotten some more dvd cases in yet and they told they arent selling them anymore and they dont throw them out he said they had gotten shortages lately in cases so they needed to keep all the cases so they would have enough i found this to be bs so i hung up the phone so im jus gonna go and take a peek 2morrow and see wat i find lol

11. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

leezy- attaboy - go get'em ! Checked two Blockbusters dumpsters today just trash! Oh well That's life ! Peace & happy Burning!

12. neodave

neodave Regular member

I may try dumpster diving tomorrow and Wednesday. Problem is my BB shares a dumpster with a Subway...the potential for nastiness is there.

13. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

neodave- " It ain't gonna be nothing pretty "" But hey you get lunch with free dvd cases ! what a promotion Idea ! RALPHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! lol! just kidding !! anyhow I've found cases twice sofar since starting to look in the dumpsters ! & only once were they loose amongst the dumpster Deritus (trash) the last time I hit the jackpot (34 cases ) they were in big clear plastic garbage bags mixed in with mostly paper trash ! so I smagged the bags and took them home & seperated them out ! Then I washed the few that were dirty looking under running water! & dry with paper towels. no biggie. so if you r lucky yours won't be covered in Chipolte sauce! Good luck Happy Hunting & Peace & happy burning!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2005
  14. leezy

leezy Guest

anyone know the quality like the ones that are sold at compusa any help appreciated

15. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

leezy- Not quite sure of what your question means ? are you asking if anyone knows where you can get dvd Cases that are comparable to the ones compusa sell? Or are you askingif the ones that blockbuster uses are the same as compusa's? Well the ones Blockbuster uses / throws away are excellent ! You could probably get a better price on cases than COmpusa ! by going to one of the online retailers like Supermediastore.com or Meritline.com or maybe even newegg.com often with free shipping to boot ! If you like the Slimline style dvd cases VERBATIM's are nice and are about .25 a piece @ samsClub ! I use these quite often and they work well and take up 1/2 the space of full size (width) cases ! Hopefgully this will point you in the right general direction! Good luck Good hunting ,peace & happy burning!

Last edited: Aug 23, 2005
  16. leezy

leezy Guest

sorry my ? was are the cases at compusa any good are they good quality?

17. leezy

leezy Guest

sorry my ? was are the cases at compusa any good are they good quality?

18. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

Leezy _ no biggie I have'nt tried any from compusa have looked at them they look okay but I think you could find 'em cheaper elsewhere - like Supermediastore.com or Meritline .com but that is up to you ! peace My fiend & happy Burning

19. leezy

leezy Guest

i would order because they are cheaper but i really dont want to wait a week for them to arrive thanks

20. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

Well I can understand that ! Leezy Just hate to see you spend extra for the same type cases ! Maybe you can do a little web surfing and find someplace near you that has them cheaper ! If you don't mind Slimlne DVD cases The VERBATIM'S are Good and you can get them @ samaclub . About.25 each in bulk Maybe you could try BJ's too ! or just order some with rush shipping but then the price goes up! And there's always the Dumpster Behind Blockbuster too! Well hope you find the cases you want at a price you like . Good luck ,Good shopping , Good hunting & Happy burning! Peace