1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dumpster diving !

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Digerati8, Jul 6, 2005.

1. leezy

leezy Guest

yea i do have a sams and a bjs and how do those slimline cases look on the shelf compare to the standard size?

2. neodave

neodave Regular member

Well the first BB next to Subway was waaaaaay too nasty. So I tried another BB. I got 11 cases from that one. Nothing to brag about but it gave me easter egg fever. I'll try a couple new ones tomorrow. (Avoiding the food associated ones)

3. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

leezy - They're About half The width of a regular fullsize case so about twice as many fit on a shelf ! The spine is narrower than a reglar case but you can use UNSERCOVER XP label program to print up your covers so they look nice ! And if you use Photo paper to print your covers they look really nice! The only thing about the VERBATIM Cases @ SAMS is that sometimes they're in packs of 25 for about $6.42 or packs of 50 for about $12.00 or 100 count packs for $24.00 & change the price per case is about the same & it's all the same quality case just different quantity !just thought you might want to know that! have'nt seen the 100 ct. packs that often though! neodave wake up and smell the Chipolte sauce man ! Glad to hear you passed on the free food LOL! but got the free cases anyway ! you beat my first find by 4 cases so congrats dude! Good luck with future forays in the fascinating world of Dumpster Diving @ blockbuster! check last threedays nothing but trash! And Leezy You can go to SAMSCLUB.COM and see more info on the verbatim cases if you want to! well gang ! Good luck , Good hunting , Good Diving & watch out for the lid! lol! Peace & happy burning!

4. neodave

neodave Regular member

Not to brag but I hit the mother-load today. 121 cases in total. Most had covers and inserts intact. It looks like someone cleaned out the back room because there were just as many VHS cases. Looked to be a bunch of broken tapes. I should be good for a while but the fever will probably have me checking again in a couple days. Weird thing is none were 'new releases'.

5. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

6. clag

clag Member

Try runtechmedia.com I purchased cases from there and am very satisfied.

7. fmt57

fmt57 Guest

I got some great dvd cases just like the ones the movies come in......10 in a pack for $10 CDN. They even have the thin layer of plastic, so you can scan your label, and slide it in....The brand is Dynex model # DX-DVD10. Should be able to find them @ Best Buy and FutureShop.

8. hdw2188

hdw2188 Member

why dig n garbage, i have 3 stores n my area save them 4 me. I pick up every wed....just ask. watch out 4 rats!!!!!!

9. bolu53

bolu53 Guest

Hey, sorry to bust everybody's "Blockbuster bubble", but as of a little more than a week ago, Blockbuster no longer "swaps" cases when they get in a new DVD. They are now renting them not in the familiar blue and white Blockbuster case, but instead, they are renting in cases with the original DVD cover art, as shipped by manufacturer. If you've been in a store lately, you'll see these cardboard mock-ups of the cover art of upcoming releases, and then they are replaced when the movie hits the stores with these "new" cases. So, no more throw-aways, at least not in my neck of the woods (West Palm Beach, Fl) Really too bad, 'cause I've gotten over 700 cases from them over the past year or so, sometimes with manager's permission, sometimes from the dumpster, depending if the manager thought there were "privacy" issues with some paper mixed in with empties. In many cases, there were original inserts with the cover art included, not to mention the empty cardboard cartons they came in!! All good things come to an end?

10. jojoaist

jojoaist Guest

Yup, Yup, I have a friend that works at blockbuster and he would get the cases for me (usually about 50 a week). This past week he brought 3 with him and told me the bad news (what bolu53 said). Oh well, back to getting them for .20 cents a peice.

11. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

Dear Bolu - Thank you for your concern ! my bubble ain't busted yet ! matter of Fact I picked up 80 odd cases or more from 3 blockbusters this weekend - 2 in new orleans & one in Baton Rouge la. And let me say bolu53 my friend I am not in anyways calling you a liar because of what I'm bout to say they may due things differently near you @ Blockbuster ! The one I use takes the dvd out of the case it came in and put's them in the kind that they use with the locking plastic stick gadget! and apparently they still throw away tthe original cases ! atleast in New Orleans & BATON ROUGE la. Yes you are corect that they are putting them in the original covers /jackets instead of the GENERIC BLOCKBUSTER BLUE & WHITES! but that's cool bye me ! As for me I'll keep checking the dumpster till they quit dumping cases ! then I'm back to the Verbatim slim DVD cases @ Samsclub! Good luck ,Good hunting & happy burning bolu53 & all my afterdawn.com friends! Peace!

12. JVC

JVC Active member

They are putting the newest movies on the shelf, in covers,instead of the BB generic ones. But, the older movies are still in the generic. Once the new ones become old ones, they'll be in generic covers too. I'm pretty sure that some will still be tossed out. Maybe not 100 at a time, but some..............
    Good haul BIGTOXY69!

13. neodave

neodave Regular member

They've been using the original cover in a locking Blockbuster case in my area for a while but they still throw the original cases out. I think they'll use those locking cases of theirs for a while. So are they using the original cases(non locking) for rental in your area bolu53? I can't hardly see them doing that.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2005
  14. bolu53

bolu53 Guest

As far as the locking bars are concerned, to be honest, it has been a month since I have rented a Blockbuster movie, so I have not had the chance to check that out since this change in boxes. I'll have to explore that and get back to you. If it is not to be, I'll definately be grateful for the 700 -800 empties I've been lucky enough to get. At an average of $0.16 per Verbatim 16x blank DVD+R, and another $0.60 or so per movie for 24-30 movies a month from Netflix, plus freebies from friends, etc, that puts me at about $0.75 per flick. I'm o.k. with possibly having to pay another 10 or 20 cents for a case. The only problem? SPACE!! I'm going to have to move some movies from cases and put them in "albums" instead. Need to free up wall space if this collection is going to continue to grow!

15. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

bolu53- Well so far you done good so like you say you can't complain that much - and if you have to buy cases anyay the Verbatim slim dvd cases work Good ! I know i sound like a broken record or that I work for verbatim but I don't That's just the cheapest price non-free cases I could find locally .25 or so @ samsclub and I don't work for them either ! Personally I'm Glad Blockbuster are going to start using the original cover art for the dvd's they rent ! It doe'snt happen very often but sometimes the movie come's out before the cover art hit's the websites Like Megasearch.net who post covers for Games, audio cd's & dvd's so now you can just scan the original cover if you have a scanner or possibly color copy it if you have access to a color copy machine! and as for running out of space because of your ever growing collection . You might check @ Big Lots Stores if you have any near you They have or had a nice CD/DVD/ Vhs movie rack for like $15.00 or so a while bacxk - nice wood lightish oak like color sturdy easy to assemble ! so it's worth a check out run anyway ! food for thought as they say! And Jvc what can i say you have made me what I am today ! A dvd case chasing dumpster diving daddy ! (well step daddy anyway) ! and I'm not in your or bolu53's class yet but I'm working ob it ! Well gang with that let me say ! GOOD Hunting ! Good diving , Happy burning & Peace to -JVC & bolu53 , and all my afterdawn.com friends ! later !

Last edited: Aug 27, 2005
  16. neodave

neodave Regular member

The thing that is upsetting to me and many others is pricing. When I started this 3 or 4 years ago I was paying around $1.50 per DVD in bulk. And at that time was paying around .25 to .35 cents per case in bulk. Now you can easily get quality media(probably much better in some cases) for .30 cents to .40 cents a piece in bulk. They are on sale EVERY week. But the cases pretty much remain the same price they were. There must not be much profit in the cases. Because for the most part they are not always easy to find at B&M stores. Sams Club is probably the best but I don't have a membership.

17. zen_rose

zen_rose Member

I noticed a good deal on a hot deal page that I visit often. I don't advertise nor get anything from this so please don't think I'm trying to sell something :)
    I think this is the correct link:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/s...ield-manufacturer=EXTREME/103-9382430-2193465

* Xtreme TB320DKO 320-disc Case for $30 with free shipping, and a $20 mail-in rebate is available.
    * Xtreme TB264DKO 264-disc Case for $24, and a $15 mail-in rebate is available.
    * Xtreme TB224DKO 224-disc Case for $23, and a $15 mail-in rebate is available.
    * Xtreme TBCDW128 128-disc Case for $21, and a $14 mail-in rebate is available.
    * Xtreme TBCDW096 96-disc Case for $18, and a $12 mail-in rebate is available.
    * Xtreme TBDCD040 40-disc Case for $21, and a $9 mail-in rebate is available.
    * Xtreme TBDVD020 20-disc DVD Case for $15, and a $10 mail-in rebate is available.

Free shipping on a $25+ Amazon order.

They look like good cases and if I didnt start my storage with the atlantic cylindars than I would deffiently get it.

18. nailedny

nailedny Guest

JVC, Thanks for the info about Blockbuster dumpsters. I never laughed so hard. What a great idea. Well, I put the info in the back of my brain (where stuff ususally goes and I never recall it again) on Fri when I read the forum. Today while driving by a blockbuster I recalled it. (that's a big step for me) I pulled around the back and just like you said, clear trash bag. Only got about 12 but that didn't6 stop me. I was heading to Walmart in the next town when I remembered they too had a blockbuster. I hit the jackpot at that one. Got about 60. That dumpster was a little dirtier but still the same free is free. I am getting a lot of grief from my husband and son-in-law, they swear I will be in the local paper yet but that won't stop me. I think you might have created a monster. Thanks again, it was certainly worth a good laugh.

19. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

nailedny- Don't feel so bad ! Jvc Got me dumpster diving too ! Kinda like peanuts once you start you don't wanna stop! LOL! Also it's nice to hear the occasional female voice or atleast the female viewpoint here @ afterdawn.com We know your out there we can hear you breathing! lol! After all DVD-Dom is not gender specific ! Push the savings angle tell your husband your not spending money the cases are free ! My wife has no problem with my little reclamation adventures ! and bieng tall I noramally don't have to dive in ! Or if your husband is into Ecology & all that tell him your saving the planet from plastic one dvd case at a time! I prefer the slim caese that verbatim makes if I'm buying but for free I'll go full size ! Well Welcome to both afterdawn .com & dumpster divers anonymous ! lol! Good Luck. Good day, Good diving , happy Hunting ,Peace & happy burning!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2005
  20. JVC

JVC Active member

LOL..........
    Glad to be of service!
    I'm glad that those of you looking, are finding some. I haven't been lately. I still have about 100 I haven't used yet. Hope none of you end up on the front page of the newspaper, with a pic of your head in the dumpster, and your feet in the air. That calls up a crazy image in my mind. :eek:)
    Enjoy, and keep us posted on how well you do?