1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dumpster diving !

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Digerati8, Jul 6, 2005.

1. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

JVC-as long as I can reach'em with my grabber or my orangutan length arms you'll not see my lovely tukas! upsie daisy in the daily planet's front page! head down in the dumpster ! but your right it'd be a hell of a picture ! CAPTION (SUMMER"S HERE!) anyhow will keep the search on whenever I can I'll report back in Oh! Yoda of the dumpster diving dvdnauts! peace ,happy hunting & happy burning!

2. J-Kwon

J-Kwon Regular member

Anyone looking for good cheap DVD cases (slimline or not) in the U.K try http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk, I picked up 50 for a fiver! and they very good quality.

Also UndercoverXP(free program) gives me the option to burn covers (from covers.cc) in the same size of my cases (Slimline 7mm)

3. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

J-Kwon- our Ambassador of KWon ! from the Uk ! thanks for the info! atleast for your fellow Uk'ers anyhow I think the shipping would probably eat our lunch on this side of the pond USA ! Also I've found the 7mm setting on Undercover XP works real god for the verbatim slimline cases if you ever buy those ! I really like Undercover XP because I can now print my covers with one sheet of paper less mess ,less waste paper ! I used to use Roxio Label creator & have to print two pages to get front & back so much better with Undercover XP . Well thanx again , Peace & happy burning!

4. J-Kwon

J-Kwon Regular member

BIGTOXY69 that info was was for all my [bold]fellow Uk'ers[/bold], you could get yours from newegg or wherever.

Ye UnderCoverXP is great!

5. nailedny

nailedny Guest

I use Meritline EZ label Express. Where do I get UndercoverXP? Is it a better program?

6. J-Kwon

J-Kwon Regular member

7. nailedny

nailedny Guest

Thanks J-Kwon Got it. It seems very easy and basic.

8. mikey_ray

mikey_ray Guest

www.finodisc.com has great deals on cases

and checkout their cd-dvd folder 500 capicity for 14 dollars
    and the quality is great --trust me i buy there alot

9. nailedny

nailedny Guest

I am now into blockbuster dumpster diving. (read my earlier post). I have had good luck with ebay, meritline and american digital. Thanks for info.

10. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Ran out of room using standard slim cases (they held 2 though) so started buying 240capacity wallets from www.svp.co.uk. Have filled 4 of them and at £4ish each they're real cheap and excellent quality too.

11. NickW1281

NickW1281 Member

FYI, I went to a couple of BB's around me and couldn't find any. Decided to actual go in and talk to someone to find out if there was a reason I wasn't finding any. Apparently, BB switched the way they handle cases. They used to have extras since they had the cover boxes for display and whatnot, but now that they actually use the original case and just put some little barcode on the case, they don't have to throw them out anymore. Soooo... unless you have blockbusters that still use the cover boxes for display only, you might start running dry on the cases in the dumpster. Luckily I have a franchised BB close to me that still uses the cover boxes, so I'm still getting a few (10-20/wk.)

12. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

NickW1281- Reports of my death are somewhat premature ! Lol! If they still use the cases with the plastic lock stick mechanism then they still throw out the original cases ! of course this may be different where you are! and of course this may also be on a case by case basis @ different blockbusters ! so thanx for the info ! but as long as they throw to da' dumpster I will Go! Happy Hunting & happy Burning! peace!

13. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

JVC & all the Blockbuster dumpster divers ! checked the dumpster behind the blockbuster I rent from the other day ! Got 15 dvd cases ! not a great hall by most standards but free is free so I'm happy ! Strange thing was they still had the dvd covers (artwork ) on the cases ! To bad I'm not collecting vhs movie cases cause they had a boatload of them ! Could have possibly dug out some more but my brother was with me and he wanted to find a bathroom (fluid pills) so to keep him happy & my carpets dry we made a quick grab and run and left! will keep you all updated if anything interesting happens ! Peace & Happy Diving !

14. neodave

neodave Regular member

I have been having similar experiences lately. I think the end of or start of the month may be the best time. I think it is the monthly 'clean up'. I have made off with roughly 700 cases in the last 2 weeks. Probably 50 to 75 were the green ones but can't be picky.

15. GlueEater

GlueEater Regular member

I don't know about you guys but my BB now uses the original box that the DVD came in. Which sucks! It's kinda funny because before I started "archiving" DVDs I wo=ould always say "Why the hell don't they just put them in the real box!" lol

16. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

GlueEater- well I believe that some Blockbusters may be doing that but the one I use still throws them away ! they are using the original cover art now instead of the Generic Blockbuster ones that they used to use ! But they are using the lockable dvd cases with the plastic stick gadget that they remove wen you rent a dvd ! I think they are only using the original cases on ca case by case basis ! no pun intended so GlueEater you might want to take a trip to another Blockbuster near you and check it out ! FREE IS FREE ! after all ! Good luck ,Peace & Happy Diving!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2005
  17. nailedny

nailedny Guest

I too have had bad luck. I went to one of my BB and they didn't have any. Either I was too late and the dumpster was empty or they are using the original cases. I will check back next week. I also got about 23 Hitch cases. With original cover. However this BB shares the dumpster with a Papa Johns pizza. EWE. I was very careful and free is free.

18. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

nailedny- You go girl ! Free cases and free pizza ! now if only if they only had a barroom there that was dumping their dented umopened beer cans there too! Free Beer ! Free Pizza ! & Free Dvd cases ! rent a movie and it's party time ! Yech!!!!!! just kidding keep the faith so far the Grodie-est dvd cases I've found just have this Phlourescent green candy gunk on them Either bubble gum or now and laters can't tell and I'm not gonna give it the taste test that's for sure! At present I'm having house guest ! 11 family members from new orleans ! well actually just 9 family members and 2 wannabee's but who's counting so my burning times are limited to when I am actually allowed to access my own computer ! which isn't often as i'd like but I'm trying to be the gracious host! Thank you Hurricane Katrina! But I'm still checking the dumpsters free is free ! Good luck - Free Pizza ! Free Beer ! & free dvd cases ! free james brown! Ooops! Sorry my mind went to the bahama's that time ! Peace & happy Burning!

19. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

To The Blockbuster Dumpster Diving Society _ et : al - Fella's & NailedNY went to Blockbuster Today to return Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy Vol.1&2- the original version & picked up The remake & monster in law - I made My customary dumpster check and retrieved 26 cases they were already boxed up for me - well almost all of them at least 20 any way and retieved the other 6 from the dumpster boxed them & left ! Ironically they all appear to be the locking kind that blockbuster uses in their stores! maybe they are'nt going to throw the original (non locking cases )away anymore but I'll use these anyway free is free ! checked 2 other blockbusters also just trash ! well 26 is not a lot but free is free and I'm happy ! Hope all y'all are too ! Peace & happy Burning ! ( DIVE ,DIVE,DiVE - FREE IS FREE)! CIAO!!!!!!

20. Digerati8

Digerati8 Member

I just checked with a local Blockbuster and they say that their movies are now coming in lockable cases, so they don't have any regular DVD cases to throw away. I think it's on a store by store basis......going to check with some others around here.