1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dumpster diving !

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Digerati8, Jul 6, 2005.

1. neodave

neodave Regular member

Digerati8

That would make sense as to why I am finding so many of the Blockbuster lockable cases in the dumpster. In the last couple days I have found 200 cases and almost half of those were the BB lockables. Time may be running out. Dive dive dive!!!

2. nailedny

nailedny Guest

I just read the new posts and want to jump in my car for a quick dive in the dumpster but it is 1055pm and I am tired. Sooooooooooo, free is just not that important tonight. I will dive tomorrow and let you know. I'll be heading back to the pizza dumpster where I will hopefully not get too saucy. Until tomorrow....goodnight

3. anubis1

anubis1 Guest

I get mine from dvdmediaonline.com. They usually have them for $16 for 100. With S/H its $27. They are in NY and I live in DC so I get them in 1 day and pay for regular ground shipping. I used to get mine from Meritline but they are in CA and it takes 8 days with the free shipping. The quality is better than Meritline and they have the little push button release which I like.

4. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

Digerati8- That may be true as tyhe last 26 dvd cases I rescued from the dumpster were the lockable kind with the cover art intact ) not the blue & yellow generic blockbuster covers! Never the less I will continue My Dumpster diving foray's until the cases are no more - Then I suppose it's back to the verbatim slimline dvd cases at samsclub. I actually prefer the slim cases so i can store twice as many dvd's in the same amount of space - But As we say in the Dumpster diving community ( FREE is FREE) and hey if they start throwing out the lockable type I'm down with that! And as you say I think that they're doing it on a case by case basis ! No pun intended! Well Digerati8- I wish you peace good hunting ,good diving & happy burning!

5. nailedny

nailedny Guest

OK so I did 3 dives today and nothing!!!! Well, there could have been some in one but I wasn't going in head first with all those bees and smelly trash. I need to carry a boat hook. I'll have to get that off the boat and tell my husband that I need it for something other than my diving. I know free is free but..........bees, NAH.
    Keep us posted about the pickins out there.

6. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

nailedny-sorry you came up dry on the cases - But atleast you did'nt come up sticky and stung so in hindsight you had a good day ! last blockbuster run I garnered 26 cases and all but about 6 were already in a box! all were the lockable type that Blockbuster rents out their dvd's in! the ones with the hole/ notch in the bottom for the plastic stick that locks the case! Some Afterdawn.com members have been saying that Blockbuster is going to use the regular cases that the DVD's are sold in so the won't de throwing them out anymore ! I can neither confirm nor deny this but I have found cases after reading these post and although it maybe true ! I don't think it is yet a national policy ! more of a store by store or case by case basis ! no pun intended ! Checked out 3 Blockbusters last go round and only struck paydirt at one will keep diving though till the last case is thrown! Good luck with the boat hook idea ! a short gaff hook might work too ! Well glad to hear from you - bye 4 now - peace ,good hunting ,good diving & happy burning! CIAO

7. neodave

neodave Regular member

The vast majority of cases that I found were found on Monday or Tuesday. Wednesday thru Saturday I consistently come up with fewer. I keep telling myself I'll quit looking when I find X number of cases. I'm at 900 or so after about a month and plan to be content with 1000. Yeah I'm sure I'll be able to quit cold turkey.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2005
  8. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

neodave- Along with everyone else who finds more then me you are on my hate list! No I'm kidding I don't hate anyone ! But I guess I have low expectations ! I'm real happy if I find any ampount of cases over 5 and the most I found at one Blockbuster was 54 ! But like you I keep looking ! when they stop (BLOCKBUSTER) throwing the cases away I'll stop diving ! I've checked the ones I use or that are closest to me and have even checked out of town dumpsters when visiting family ! I too have found that wed. iasn't always the best day sucssess wise for dumpster diving - I've had the most luck on fridays or saturdays - The last 26 I found we the lockable type and that was teusday- Strangley all the cases I've retieved lately have had the original covers on them whether or not the cases were the regular or locking kind! if they dump I'll dive if not it's back to the verbatim slimline dvd cases - About .25 a piece @ samsclub in bulk amounts 25,50 or 100 count depending on which sams and what's available! well neodave hope you hit your lucky number 1000 or whatever you decide just remember the dumpster diving society motto -" FREE is FREE" Happy Hunting -Happy Diving _ Peace & Happy Burning ! Ciao!!!!!

9. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

NailedNY - As per your post of sept.13-2005- Just a thought perhaps you could locate a Blockbuster next to a Taco Bell so when you dive you could be SPICEY & SAUCY !! I'm sure you husband would really appreciate that !!!!! But then again you probably already are!! Good Luck And Happy Hunting !! And watch out for the bee's & hornets ! Dive safe , drive safe and let us know how the boat hook idea works ! Peace & happy Burning (DIVE,DIVE,DIVE!!!!!!!!)

10. nailedny

nailedny Guest

Hey Big,
    Thanks for all the advice. I think maybe someone else might be hitting my blockbusters. Like maybe neodave. He has 900 cases. Wonder if he is fighting my bees. Taco Bell is across the street from one of mine. Maybe I'll stop there first...hahaha. I am going to go out on Tues of next week and check them out. I'll let you know how I make out. Weather is terrible, won't be able to get the boat hook this weekend. Maybe I'll use a rake......hummmmmmmmmmm

11. davidw001

davidw001 Regular member

Supermediastore.com is offering their industry standard black dvd cases at 50% off. I just ordered 100 more Ty's and 300 cases for 124 us dollars. Pretty good deal!

12. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

nailedny- perhaps we 'll have to start dole-ing out territories ! You might try one of those Claw reacher grabber gadgets that are supposed to be for old timers and Physically challenged people not that you are either oh Saucy Queen but they do extend your reach and are relatively cheap 3.99 to about 9.99 get the cheap one they fold up and as lond as your not vertically challenged you should be able to reach the clear plastic garbage bags or indivual cases ! you could also try duck taping a coathanger hook ona peice of pvc pipe as a sort of makeshift boat hook - - Qvc has this really neat rake that grabs the leaves in a bunch that might work too - well good luck, good hunting and good diving - Peace Sauce & Bee's LOL! peace and happy burning ! BBQ Sauce!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2005
  13. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

nailedny- check this out at Qvc.com-Item Number M1233
    Garden Grabber Lawn & Garden Rake

Retail Value $39.00
    QVC Price $22.62
    Shipping and Handling $5.47
    Save! Buy two or more and save on S & H. Click here for details.

Raking is easy with the Garden Grabber! It lets you rake, grab, and bag with minimal bending and stooping. Eliminate touching leaves and garbage by simply raking garden debris into a pile and turning the handle to scoop it all up. Great for use on flower beds, lawns, and hedgerows to collect leaves, clippings, pine needles, or cones. Lightweight, durable steel construction.

Expanded, measures 59-3/4"L x 17"Diam.

Lifetime LMW.

Made in China.

14. nailedny

nailedny Guest

Hey Big,
    I thought free was free!!!! Now you want me to spend $39.99 on a grabber?? Hey I could buy the cases............right?? I'll do some make shift and put my boots on. And the Queen comments...keep them coming, I already think I am one.

15. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

nailedny- Just trying to be Helpfull OH! Queen - went diving dumpster empty but found three cases behind it so not a total loss ! On the makeshift front maybe a old broomstick & a coat hanger & some duck tape ! Duck tape is the new windex ! it cures everything ! And if you can't fix it with Duck tape and Cable ties it's really broke ! you know what I mean !http://www.octanecreative.com/ducttape/hmo/ anyway good luck oh saucy one and Happy burning!

16. neodave

neodave Regular member

I admit I am a little OCD. OK alot. But sometimes it goes beyond the free cases and is more about the hunt now. I actually think about how many Blockbusters are on my way to this place or that place and plan my trip accordingly. Happy diving.

17. Digerati8

Digerati8 Member

lololol.....neodave you crack me up.

18. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

NEODAVE- as long as you don't continually hunt for covers of The Aviator while your diving ! your still OCD OOps! I mean Okay in my book! Dumpster Diving ! It's the wave of the future!It's the wave of tIt's the wave of the future!he future!It's the wave of the future!It's the wave of the future!It's the wave of the future!It's the wave of the future!It's the wave of the future!It's the wave of the future!It's the wave of the future!It's the wave of the future!It's the wave of the future!It's the wave of the future!It's the wave of the future!It's the wave of the future!It's the wave of the future!It's the wave of the future! Damn ! Ihate that someone get me a glass of milk ! LOL! Good luck neodave! Peace & Happy diving , Happy hunting ! & Happy Burning! It's the wave of the future!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2005
  19. tls1

tls1 Guest

there's a dollar store right next to bb. They sell em 4 for a $1. Now I know where they get them....hehe...I'll check the bb garbage next time.

thanks jvc

20. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

tls1- Yes and if you want to spend a Quarter you can buy Verbatims slimline cases at sams . I used these before Jvc Baptized me in a Blockbuster video Dumpster ! He instructed me to spreasd the good news of free DVD Cases ! and to chant the holy mantra "FREE IS FREE" and gradually the good word spread and yeah! & verily the brotherhood & sisterhood of dumpster diving began to take root and prosper Ney ! not just prosper but even florish! And Jvc was pleased Having self -ordained and annoited himself elevated status from Missonary of the word to Prophetic Potentate of Plastic! and it was good ! Then the rumors started Blockbuster would no longer throw out the original cases so they could use locking ones as to the truth of it I cannot say having only recently been elevated to subaltern of the silly myself ! however I have found cases since these post both the lockable and non locking kind . So perhaps this is only going on on a case by case basis no pun intened ! Therefore I will dive until the very last case is thrown! tls1 by now you've probably figured out that with all the information available for serious DVD DEVOTEE"S we also like to have fun ! So welcome aboard and All that ! To everyone Peace ,Good hunting , Good Diving, & Happy burning ! - NAILEDNY " ALL HAIL THE QUEEN OF SAUCE" cIAO

Last edited: Sep 18, 2005