1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dumpster diving !

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Digerati8, Jul 6, 2005.

1. 21Q

21Q Regular member

Oh god they are on to me!

Anyway, right now I'm regretting not picking up some cable box's that I saw earlier because now mine is on the fritz and I don't want to call my cable company >_>

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  2. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@greensman

Yeah we'll get Varnull to locate his pc and get his address and we'll show up the next day and split it 3 ways. Be very aware, 21Q! LMAO

3. greensman

greensman Regular member

garmoon do you really want to get varnull involved?? hehehe. She'll try to make us her minions. :D

@21Q,
    Shame on you for not picking those cable boxes up. On the fritz or not extra parts is extra parts.. ;P

....gm

4. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@greensman

varnull ran an attack on my pc to check if my unused ports were in fact closed. It was unrelenting. She ran it all night and Norton Internet Security almost had a heart attack. I had so many alert messages of intruder attacks I could not get rid of them.I watched for a while in the log file. I finally just had it top notifying me. No ports at risk but she had me disable something call netbios since I'm not on a network. She some computer savvy.

5. Smacks

Smacks Member

Hey everyone what's up. It's been awhile since i posted here but I just wanted to let u know I got someone on the inside now at Blockbuster. My girl is getting a job there while she's going to school. Maybe now I won't have to jump in the dumpsters and get all dirty looking for cases. She'll be starting there in a couple weeks so I'll let u know how it goes. Happy diving everyone

6. 7thsinger

7thsinger Regular member

First dive in a long time.

Came up dirty with three cases to show for it.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRR....now it's on.

I'm diving more now just to make up for this one bad trip.

Damn it!

7. greensman

greensman Regular member

7thsinger,
    That's why I basically gave up dumpster diving. lol. I was tired of getting dirty for such a small haul and these guys are PROS. lol. 100's of cases at once, amps, Apple products, and the list goes on. :p

I still have my weak moments and drive by but I've come up empty handed more times than I care to count. ;)

Good luck to the PROS out there and may your luck run over to me some day. :D

....gm

8. 21Q

21Q Regular member

Pro Tip: Go out on garbage nights and move to a city type area.

Today is garbage night and I was able to grab this. It has 500mhz so its not so good. I stuck I dvd-cdrw I had to fill in the hole.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I've got a 498 mhz pc,similar to that one and it was heck of a dvd burning machine.

I had to keep compression down,but backing up dvd-5 to dvd-5,it is faster than my athlon 3300+. Now the kids use it to watch dvds.

10. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

i got the same 1 but is a 400mhz version. supposedly can goto about 600mhz.

11. 7thsinger

7thsinger Regular member

Don't get me wrong, i've had a decent little score now and then...but nothing like the ones i read about here.

I'll read some of the things these people get, or see pics of them (like 21Q) and it inspires me to press on! Move forward, dive deeper.

Then i get three dvd cases.

Needless to say...count me in on the raid on 21Q...Greensman/Garmoon/7thsinger.

12. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

pretty good decoy i have there in 21Q. he has all your attention to get him and his amp's and such..... now i dont have to worry about my 1200+ cases....lol

im going to the BB that i just got the 500+ cases from. 2 dives back. they got the sweetest setup also/ dumpster on the side of the buildng where no one can see ya in the middle of the day, when DAY DIVEING...hey i just made up a term that AD needs to put in its data base...lmao!!!!!

DAY DIVEING=where no one can see ya in the middle of the day

EDIT:
    well i went to my trusty dive that is out of order..lol just checking 1 last time. yup you guessed it. 2 big bags triple baged. havent gone through them yet. maybe 200-250 cases

Last edited: Feb 22, 2008
  13. pwhite23

pwhite23 Regular member

By "BB": I assume you mean Best Buy or Blockbuster. Also to anyone hear that goes diving at best buy or even big stores like that, how do you get into their dumpster. because by me they have a circular dumpster covered everywhere and the only onpening connects into the building. I went ten minutes to go to try and search but I couldn't figure out how to get in. So I gave up. Also where are some nice places to go to to dumpster dive for some technology crap. I live in a suburb of chicago population about 25,000. So its not to small. AS for my first day, i consider it a success as i managed to go to blockbuster and pull out 20 cases.

14. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

mostly here BB=BlockBuster.

and congrats on your first dive. 20 cases is better than none...lol
    they will get better. dont rush it and dont think you will hit it big everytime out. i havent tried a best buy, but you are the third person in here i know that has said they have there dumpsters all enclosed...so that tells me they are tossing some good stuff and dont want anyone to have it for free.

as for technology type stuff 21Q is the man who gets all those goodies around here..lol id say the smaller type stores wouldnt have as much, so you might look for the big named places..
    best buy, circuit city,radio shack,ext....

heck my dumb azz just realized something. my wife works at walmart. i know they have some big dumpster and i havent gone to look in any of them...guess where im going today..lmao

EDIT:
    well heres the final numbers from my favorite BB thats no more.
    204 single cases.11 double sided cases.3 game cube cases
    36 nitendo ds cases total of 254. man im gonna miss that place..lol

Last edited: Feb 23, 2008
  15. ddp

this reminds me when my stepfather worked for sears as a stationary engineer. they had a dumpster outside the boiler room that the sears employees used to dump stuff that was either discontinued or not worth fixing. i got a 4k watt gasoline generator, a 10" table saw, 10" miter saw which altogether cost me about $400 to fix for those 3 items. got a spare motor section for the miter saw & the frame & motor for a 10" radial arm saw. got parts for an air compressor that i'm slowly putting together. he also retrieved about a 100+ hardwood rake handles that he gave to a friend who used them for stakes for tomatoe plants.

16. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I hit a carwash to wash the salt off my car. I checked the dumpster behind it and all the trash cans- No bottle caps. You gotta figure people cleaning the trash out should have a lot of plastic bottles to get rid of.

Then I checked out a nearby recycling center. They keep glass bottles/tin cans/and plastic bottles in 2 dumpsters. I couldn't dive in it with all the broken beer bottles.Bottles suck-heavy,hard to stir it around for the goodies.I Got a couple coke caps and a 2 liter Pepsi cap.

I need one of those long reaching grippers then I can yield more caps/carton boxes. Their cardboard area-was a trash compactor leading into a regular trash dumpster that you couldn't get into.

I got another recycling center to check out today-never been there,and then my usual recycling center towards my Dad's place.

Any Ebayers out there, For Sh*ts and Giggles,search for:

My Coke Rewards
    Pepsi Stuff
    Dr Pepper 1 in 6 Wins

No promotion for Mountain Dew- Those Turds!!!

I've gotten 12 free dr peppers in the last 3 weeks-all thrown away. I avg 5 BOGO free pepsi caps per week- all thrown away.

I've got enough Pepsi points for 37 MP3 downloads= 188 pts. Promo just started 23 days ago.

You wouldn't believe what they're getting out of those bottlecaps/12 pk/24 pk cardboard codes that 75% of the people throw away. There's even a guy selling his Coke Account of 5000+ pts and counting-going over $300+.Win the auction and he gives you all his info,password so you can take over.

Someone else selling 10,000 coke points going for over $400

Anybody got any codes just sitting around,send them my way!! LOL. Lots of charities takes them as well.

Call me the "Code Man"!

17. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

ddp thats a good haul at new price all that probably would of been 1500.00 dollars plus

18. ddp

the generator alone was that price. the table saw has a cast iron top but was missing the fence & starter relay. the fence i made & got the manual that told me what the part number was for the relay which i bought from sears for $38. both the saw & compound miter saw still had their blades on them.

19. pwhite23

pwhite23 Regular member

21Q: what stores do you look in for all of the electronic crap that you keep finding. Also does anybody know how to get into the dumpsters that are covered completely? Because I REALLY want to look in a Best buys dumpster but unfortunately can't because it completely covered. And I dont know why they would have them covered, they mind as well let people look through them if there going to throw it away anyway...just my thought. I wonder what would happen if I asked the store manager if I could get their "garbage" instead of them just throwing it away. Any comments about this situation post.
    Thanks,

20. little155

little155 Regular member

They don't want you looking the dumpster because they would rather you come into the store and buy the item you find in the dumpster or something similar. Just my opinion for what it's worth. George