1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DV Camcorder/Firewire

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by C0nfused, Nov 14, 2002.

  1. C0nfused

    C0nfused Guest

    If I have a Camcorder that requires a firewire, can I just get a cable that plugs into the camera and into the USB port
  2. herb

    herb Guest

    Some camcorders use either a USB connection
    OR a 1394 firewire.
    They are not the same.
    The usb connection will also usually be a lower quality compression such as mpeg-1 (vcd).
    The 1394 will have a better compression (dv).
  3. HomerJ

    HomerJ Moderator Staff Member

    Jun 23, 2002
    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:

    A simple NO.

    I assume you have the camcorder. At the very least, you will need to purchase a Firewire card (can cost from about $50 upwards).

    The reason for firwire is, it supports a faster data transfer rate than USB.


    PS There is a newer version of USB, it's called USB2 and this is faster than firewire, but not compatible. So, you are stuck with getting a new card I afraid.

Share This Page