1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DV Camcorder & Foreign Purchase Advice

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by tiswas, Mar 14, 2004.

1. tiswas

tiswas Member

I'm after getting myself a Digial camcoder, by most peoples recommendation they lean towards Panasonic, ergomically i like the Sony because obvious the design and functionality/ease of use.

I'm looking for something thats lightweight, packed full of features and i'm visiting Florida next Saturday and was going to purchase one out there.....
    Questions are -
    i) Warranty, how would this affect the product, will i have the same rights here in the UK?
    ii) Not sure regarding power is it lower rated in the US and would i have trouble connecting to the UK source?
    iii) will there be the PAL/NTSC problem aswell?
    iv) It's obviously cheaper in the US??

Or to answer all, should i look for the best bargain in the UK as it's less trouble....

Hope you can help

Regards

2. drchips

drchips Active member

Hiya,

1 - Warranty: Consumer Electronics (CE) are NOT like computer components, there is NO global standard, many markets have custom models that are not available elsewhere in the world - this means that it is quite common that Warranties will not be honoured outside the target market area, the U.K. is covered by EMEA (Europe, Middle East, Asia) and warranties/models only cover that area: most manufacturers follow this methodology, SO CHECK!!!

2 - Power: you would have to buy a power adapter suited to the U.K. (States is normally 115 volts @ 60 Hz, UK is 240 Volts @ 50 Hz): MORE COST!!!!

3 - PAL/NTSC: see item 1 for market/model differences.

4 - Cheaper in US: probably, but factor in the extra cost of purchasing a warranty/cover for EMEA, UK power supply etc... Will it be cheaper then???

One VERY IMPORTANT POINT: [bold]CUSTOMS DUTY[/bold]
    With the heightened security both Stateside and in the UK as far as air-travel is concerned, the possibility of you smuggling the item through customs is remote, as it is OBVIOUSLY not from the UK (NTSC/non-UK model etc); therefore it MUST be an import; therefore duty must be paid - if you try to smuggle it through & are caught, it is a big fine, criminal record & the item is confiscated....

How cheap does it have to be to be worthwhile???

Have Fun...

3. tiswas

tiswas Member

Thanks for the thorough reply.
    I think i'll be purchasing one in the UK, after all it's not going to be worth it.

Again many thanks.

Dave