1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD 2 avi, divx ....?

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by geniusch, Apr 20, 2005.

1. geniusch

geniusch Member

I plan to copy my DVD Collection :) on a HDD.

- What is the easiest and fastest way 2 realise my plan? (I also want to be able to stream on my computer of course)
    - Is they a software that directly rips to avi or divx or mpeg or bin or whatever ?

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

I don't know a good method. What I usually do (also for size purposes) is: extract the VOBs form the DVD, convert the VOB set into VCD mpeg-1, compress the resulting mpeg-1 into AVI using the profile (for DivX: Portable Profile) according to the VCD resolution they have.
    All ripping software I know only extract the VOBs, don't compress them. More, if they compressed them they would make a too big AVI (e.g. with DVD2AVI, which needs a VOB set and does not make include the sound stream into the AVI)
    Probably there are better solutions...

Last edited: Apr 21, 2005
  3. piyota

piyota Member

4. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Aldaco,
    Your reply to geniusch is... bizarre (to be polite).
    You don't know a good method.
    Why then do you describe to us a poor one?
    Converting a DVD to MPEG1, and then converting that MPEG1 to AVI, is a really bad way to backup a DVD to HD ;^(
    Uhh, yeah; this is the MPEG4 AVI encoding forum - ripping with DVDDecrypter is only the first step! Then we encode the VOB files with XviD (or DivX), hopefully not using DVD2AVI.
    YES there are better solutions - like GordianKnot
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_encoders/gordian_knot.cfm
    right here on AfterDawn, forget videohelp.com
    The GKnot suite + XviD codec will give maximum quality results, in a semi-automatic package offering hands-on control of the process.
    If you geniusch, do not wish to learn about these things (are not technically inclined) and want a real simple 'automatic' program that pre-supposes your answers to all questions, there is Automatic Gordian Knot known as AutoGK
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_tools/autoGK.cfm
    Now I apologize if I seem snippy - but I have answered this simple query maybe 800 times or so, although the n00bies keep on asking it...
    Gordian Knot!
    GORDIAN KNOT!
    Gordian Knot is the answer :^)
    Regards

5. piyota

piyota Member