1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD 2 AVI????

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by chavezca, Jan 4, 2005.

1. chavezca

chavezca Member

Hello everyone...First of all I am a newbie. Very new. Anyways, I just bought a iriver and in order to put my movies on it I need to convert my DVD to AVI. Can someone help me with that? Also, is there a way to put my DVD's on a seperate hard drive and store them there and also view them on my computer when I wish?

2. maven1975

maven1975 Regular member

As you are new to all this i would recommend some click software, ie you just have a wizard and follow what it tells you to do.

One you get more comfotable you can then start using different methods.

Just do a search in Google as there are loads of programs that will convert DVD to AVI.

As for the DVD's well you can just rip them to the hard drive and then load the files into your favourite media player as long as this method is supported, Power DVD is one such program amonst others.

3. RussReef

RussReef Guest

I'm pretty sure that you'll very quickly fill-up your hard drive and then you'll be SOL.

Rather than buying a second hard drive exclusively dedicated to movie storage, why not just buy a DVD-burner? Then, you wouldn't have to convert your DVD's to an AVI format (Plus, you'll always lose picture quality in the conversion anyway).

The DVD-burner could also double as a player. So, whenever you want to watch a movie, just popped the movie you've burned back into the DVD burner and fire up PowerDVD to watch it. Plus, you won't wear out your hard disk drive read heads that way.

Magnetic storage (hard disk drive storage & playback) = heat = friction = worn out drive heads... Whereas, optical storage (i.e., DVD burning & playback) = no friction = no heat = just as good as magnetic storage as long as you don't scratch the media.

4. chavezca

chavezca Member

I just want to my movies on my iRiver PMP-120, but need to convert them to AVI. I am using DVD to AVI but when I put my DVD in my computer and start the program it says that it cant be converted because it is coded. What do I do?????

5. .:RIP:.

.:RIP:. Member

i take it you are a pc guy...

first off i would recomend reading your manual and then asking the people who make the iriver, i checked their site and the faq page is down.

you should be able to use the iRiver Media Converter software that came with your iriver? at least I would think so.

i am a mac user so...
    i use mactheripper to copy dvds to the hard drive of my powerbook, then I use handbrake to compress the files (avi) to save space (i don't really mind the loss of quality)