1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-5 discs can damage my DVD player?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by moviegoer, Aug 10, 2004.

1. moviegoer

moviegoer Member

Hi everybody. I have some copies of my favorite movies in DVD-5 discs. The other day Iwas wacthing a tv programe abaout movies and the host said "DVD- 5 copies damage your DVD player because the information is so compressed that makes you DVD player work too much". Id that true?
    Thanks

2. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

That's easy to disprove just using common sense. A DVD-5 is exactly what the DVD standards were designed for. A DVD-9 OTOH has twice as much data squeezed into the same amount of space, so if one of them was bad for your player (which I've never heard of), that would be the one.

If he was talking about the amount of MPEG-2 compression it's still a load of crap. The amount of video compression affects the quality, but it doesn't have any effect on how difficult it is to read. Your player has a maximum read speed which can't be exceeded. If it adheres to standards that's 10080kbps. If the disc exceeds that it won't read faster. It will just miss data.

3. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Hmmmm, actually I would have to disagree (in a nice way of course).

What it maybe pertaining to is Error Correction.

No player can read a dvd WITHOUT error correction.

The fact that commercial dvd's are pressed and normally a silver or gold colour signifies that the reflectivity is an important role in fast/successful data transmission.

Unlike a record player, there is no physical connection between the reader assembly and the surface of the dvd, therefore it has to be constantly maintained to be 'locked' onto the data stream.

This done by feedback and therefore the laser is constantly adjusting itself to maintain focus on the data stream, in order to maintain a stable transmission of data.

This constant update means that dvd motor speed is constantly changing (slightly), the laser assembly is constantly changing (slightly) and the optic is constantly moving up and down.......

This process is evident with ALL dvd's whether commercially pressed OR blank media.
    Unfortunately this is amplified with blank media due to the reflective surfaces used and therefore will cause the laser assembly to work 'a little harder'.

Remember all laser assemblies are made from electronic components, therefore CAN and will eventually fail - some quicker than others.......

I would not worry about it TOO much as it is an aging process and should not happen overnight......

4. vurbal

@babaa: If the argument is burned vs. pressed I could agree with it to a point, and reading through the original post again it looks like that may have been the case. I missed the word "copies" which makes a big difference, but I agree that all DVDs, especially if they have any kind of defects, cause wear on your player when reading them.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue
    DVD Rebuilder Guides: http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd_rebuilder_tutorial.cfm http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd_rebuilder_tutorial_advanced.cfm[/small]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2004
  5. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Yes vurbal, would agree with you regarding burned vs pressed......

The compression issue would not cause damage, as you said, players are capable of really high transfer rates of data.

However a dvd5 IS different from a dvd9 - single layer as opposed to dual layer so - there is more storage space available on a dvd9, therefore the data transfer speeds would be relatively the same for a dvd5 and a dvd9, just that the ACCURACY for reading a dvd9 has to be at an increased level.......

The same principle can be applied to the new DL dvd's - the compression will not have any diverse affects, but the reflectivity will.....

Remember the days back with the old PS1, you modded it and some backups worked and some skipped and jumped - same principle really....(retuning the laser sometimes cured it)

But overall, the damage a player sustains is MINIMAL with copies - but if you already have a weak laser assembly, then the problem will only be amplified using a copy.......

moviegoer - do not let this put you off, I have not come across ANY players yet that have failed soley because of using copied dvd5's - they can accelerate the aging process that is all.........

eg.
    I purchased 2 dvd players 2 Years ago.
    An LG and a Cyberhome (the LG was the dearest).
    The LG began to have errors JUST after 12 months - it played only the odd dvd5 backups.

However the Cyberhome is still kickin' ass and is working flawlessly and has played a majority of dvd5 backups rather than originals.

You could say that the Cyberhome is better quality built........but it is not.....
    You could also say that the blanks I have used are REALLY good......but they are nothing compared to originals...........
    You could say that the Cyberhome has a better error correction facility..........maybe.....

Nothing to worry about......I am sure others here will say that their players have been playing backup dvd5's with no issues......

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Beware of the Pixies - they move in over night and turn your life upside down

[​IMG] [​IMG][/small]

6. vurbal

Very true.

7. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Hey vurbal, I just re-read my posts - and it may have come across a little arrogant, apologies if it did - no offense intended.........

BTW: actually with the price of dvd players nowadays being superbly low (keep em down Mr OEM), I doubt people would be TOO upset if the player only lasted 12 months anyway..........so error correction/compression - [bold]Bring it on[/bold]....LOL

8. vurbal

9. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Cheers.........see you later......:)

10. moviegoer

moviegoer Member

hi, thank you so much in advance for helping me guys. So far I am learning a lot from you. Well here it is what really happened:
    There is this guy that has a TV programe about movies in my country ,and he is against pirated dvd's and he says all the time that pirated dvds (DVD-R 4.7 GB Princo)damage you dvd player because the lens/motor has to work harder to read the data. But here it is the problem again .. in a developing country like mine original DVDs are about 30 dolars and these copies (so-called pirated dvds)are only only 2 dolars.
    Can you guys please tell me your opinions?
    Thanks

11. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Well, it is against forum rules to discuss/or pass information related to piracy of any kind, so I cannot point you in any direction regarding any purchase of pirated material.

However in relation to your statement concerning 'Princo' media - then I can say that (my experience and the general concensus) that those types of discs are known to be VERY twitchy and alot of players have trouble reading from them - ie, they freeze and jump etc - this indeed is a classic example of the error correction I was talking about.....even though they may play all the way through, I would steer clear of Princo media - others may disagree......

Basically 'Princo' are know to be low quality dvd's and you can draw your own conclusions from that.

What your friend is saying is exactly correct, however if the disc is jumping and skipping then it cannot really be watched without aggravation.........

Hope this helps......

12. moviegoer

moviegoer Member

Thank you very much. I am learning a lot from you 'cuz I am the real newbie when it comes to DVD world.

13. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Your welcome, stick around, read the rules, read the posts and you'll pick up more and more..........

BTW: Just refrain from any links to pirated material and you'll be fine......

And Welcome to Afterdawn.............