1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-9 to DVD-5

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by bwilso, Jan 7, 2004.

1. bwilso

bwilso Member

Should I be able to “shrink” the film ‘Pirates of the Caribbean’ to fit onto a standard DVD-5 disc. I think the original film is on a DVD-9 disc.
    When I try to shrink the film it is still to big to fit onto one disc.
    PS I am using DVD shrinkbeta 5

Thanks for the help!

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

DVD Shrink will fit this movie onto a DVD-5. This is what I usually do:
    Once Shrink has finished analyzing and the screen opens showing the breakdown of the movie I remove subpictures and all but one audio track.
    Next, I select the menu by clicking on it, select ratio and reduce it as far as it will go. Then I do the same thing to the extras.
    If a lower compression value using "ratio" was not avalible for the menu or extras, Shrink is at it's max compression for this movie so re-authoring with Shrink or using a different program will be needed.
    Try these guides:
    http://dvdshrink.info/guides.php
    Frank

3. Discmania

Discmania Active member

Fasrank - are you sure you are using DVD Shrink v3 beta 5?
    Bwilso - After the initial analysis just click on re-author and drag the movie plus any extras you want into the new window. You have to click on the + sign next to the relevant folders on the left to get to the files.

4. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

I use Shrink this way when I want to keep the menu intact. Re-authoring will not let the menu work. If I can't get a resonable compression value on the main movie by increasing the compression on the extras and the menu, then I'll re-author the main title only.
    I can usually preserve the menu by doing this on smaller DVD-9 movies but not all.
    On Pirates of the Caribbean I used DVD Decrypter to rip and then used Nero Recode 2 to compress and burn, removing only unneeded subpictures and audio, keeping the menu intact and including all the special features.